rev and surge help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a R reg Peugeot 406 diesel. The problem is that over the last couple of weeks mainly during the first 10 minuets of a journey the engine will rev while idle and surge when driving. It subsides normally until today, after 20 minuets into a the journey the car tried to race away even though I was only driving through slow moving traffic and then suddenly the engine stopped. It re-started again with no problem, this happened a couple more times before I could make it home.

Has any one ever had a problem like this and how do you fix it ? Could I do any damage to the engine driving the car any distance?

Sponsored Links
Only a general answer, I`m afraid :oops: Haven`t got a pug diesel, but my vaux diesel has a cold run device to open throttle alittle when started from cold......operates on vacuum from the brake servo vac. pump.........perished rubber tubes could be the prob :?: far as I know you can`t damage a diesel because the injector pump won`t allow them to over rev

Thanks for the reply Nige F, I've had to take it to the main dealer and no garage in the city would touch this problem ( as they didn't know how to fix.) So should any one have a similar problem here is a possible solution.

There are 2 problems found;

1) The coolant temp sensor was faulty causing an open circuit
2) The solinoids in the water pump are sticking, causing oil to vent into the air intake.

£8.25 for the sensor
£300 fitted for the pump and new timing belt

The technician advised that I was lucky the turbo hadn't blown because of the high revs the open circuit caused.

Sponsored Links
Back