"A" rated double glazing, how can I spot it actual

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I am cosidering double glazing replacement. If a supplier advertises "A" rated glass, how can I tell that that they have not fitted , say, "C" rated glass? Is there a code on the glass to inspect its rating when fitted?
Regards
Keith

Sponsored Links
No, sometimes on the spacer bar things are written but there isn't actually a stamp. When the glass is fitted there is usally a peelable sticker that may say "Planitherm glass" or "Pilkington Energycare" etc which is all A rated.

Thanks Mw, so then I suppose it is best to be there on site to witness the installation and the stickers?
What wording on the stickers would "C" rating glass have?.
Regards
Keith

To be honest any low e coated glass is close to being A rated, its the frames that can let things down.

All you need to see is a sticker saying LowE glass, or coated heat reflective glass glaze this side indoors

Sponsored Links
My local suppliers quote 'b' rated 'windows' and use swiss spacer bar in the units. Its black and non metalic

Thanks folks, moving slightly on, regarding the cost of "A" rated materials, can I assume that the PVC frames are the same as a non "A "rated PVC frame,and the main difference is the glass, the argon gas, and the spacer bar in the glass?, if this is the case what would the cost difference of, say 1500mm x 2000mm "A" rated glass panel be, compared to a non A rated panel (eg D rated)?
Thanks
Keith

Thanks folks, moving slightly on, regarding the cost of "A" rated materials, can I assume that the PVC frames are the same as a non "A "rated PVC frame,and the main difference is the glass, the argon gas, and the spacer bar in the glass?, if this is the case what would the cost difference of, say 1500mm x 2000mm "A" rated glass panel be, compared to a non A rated panel (eg D rated)?
Thanks
Keith

The difference from your window company will be a lot more than actual cost if you know what I mean. Firstly, that example above of 1500 by 2000 is not the best to guide off, as its like over 3sq mtrs and for a start has to be 6mm toughened.

I've just rang my window company and the true cost difference between a non lowE normal 28mm sealed unit and a LowE sealed unit with argon filling and warm edge spacer is £32. A window company would charge at least double that so think £60psm from 'D' to 'A'

Hi Mw, the measurements I mentioned are the frame size (woops!), the largest glass panel is 1400 x 1300, so will this have a different saefty regulation applied to it than previouse one you posted?
Thanks
Keith.
PS above the main pain is a fixed top widow 1400 x 350 (aprox)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back