A real headscratcher! Samsung WD8704RJA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All,

Samsung WD8704RJA Washer/Dryer makes high pitch squealing...

BUT...

it only happens when it is drying...

AND...

it is affected by the cold water somehow... turning the kitchen cold tap on/off makes the noise stop/start

I've had it watched by another sane human being just to make sure...

Any ideas what the noise could be or why turning the cold tap on stops the noise and turning it off starts it again; and only when in condensing drying mode??? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Some condenser / dryer machines use a cold water supply to condense the moist air produced when drying......I'd suggest that the water control valve inside is a bit grumpy, and altering the water pressure by turning a tap on is altering the pitch of the noise.
John :)

Thanks John.

I've just tried tweaking the main stopcock open/closed a bit too see if that cures it but even turned right down the dryer still howls... only completely shutting off the stopcock cured it :confused:

Any ideas on a permanent fix? Are they adjustable/replaceable parts?

Or do they tend to obey the law of sod and hide away beneath many expensive sensistive bits & pieces :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Most water control valves rely on some sort of synthetic rubber seal or washer to control the water flow, and as the washer wears it can resonate or vibrate, causing all sorts of sounds.......it's particularly prevalent in toilets, would you believe.
I would guess a replacement valve would sort your problem - it's most unlikely that individual washers would be available.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back