a room within a room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

i am in need of a bit of help with a dilema that has had me scratching my head for quite a while now,

i have various items ( mainly my wifes stuff ) books photos some ornament pieces which are metal and need to store them in the loft. the problem i have is in the summer it gets rather hot up there and in the winter really cold and am concerned that the hot or cold conditions will damage whats up there.

i wish to build a kind of large box within my loft
space just for the more delicate stuff up there. i wasnt thinking of anything of heavy construction just maybe two layers of thin exterior ply with a layer of insulation sandwiched in between which will look like a house shape following the shape of the roof but not blocking its ventilation.

i know this seems like a lot f money to spend for what i need but most of the stuff i already have lying around i just need the correct method to use to do it right. i wouldnt even think of wasting my time usually to do this and a loft conversion would be ideal if we could afford it but we have a new arrival about to enter the house very soon and the room all this stuff was dumped in now needs to be put to better use i do have a few questions about it

what would be the best method of ventilation for it to eliminate the chances of condensation?

would i need a vapour barrier as well as the insulation?

any help would be great and cheers in advance

i have a 1940's tile and felt roof with an overhang so i believe it is eave ventilated if that helps

cheers

Sponsored Links
HI.have you considered self storage sites like shurguard.
Or if you have a safe floor in your loft,safe to walk on you could buy self assembly garden sheds and adapt them to fit your dimensions.
I have seen garden sheds before in lofts but you may need to take the panels apart to fit your loft hatch ,first i laughed and then i saw how practial the solution was.

Fella good luck.

What you are proposing will change nothing.

Unless you put heating and ventilation into your space, the proposed insulation will not stop the space heating/cooling to the outside ambient temperature. It will just do so a little more slowly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back