Novice question about insulating a 'cold loft' - help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm really hoping somebody can advise me. I have a 1960's town-house so it has a bedroom in the 2nd floor roof space, at the sides of the room are eaves-lofts / storage space. The loft is what's been described to me as a cold loft which I understand to mean that it should have some natural ventilation from the outside, it also means that the top bedroom is very cold in winter.

My son will be moving into this room and as it has no central heating I need to improve the insulation. When I had a proper look I saw that the roof 'lining' was in very poor condition; the roof tiles sit on a brittle black layer of felt/tar-paper type stuff (between the tiles and the rafters) but much of that has fallen apart meaning that from the inside I can see the tiles and daylight so no insulation at all! I need a way of lining the roof between the rafters to prevent draughts coming in through the tiles but without encouraging condensation build-up.

Incidentally I've already insulated the floor and vertical wall so at least that's done.

I hope this makes sense, all advice welcome!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back