Loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm trying to find out what i need to do to insulate my loft.

My house was built in about 1900 and the loft floor was insulated about 20 years ago. I don't know what's under the roof tiles as all i can see behind the beams is some kind of tarpaulin looking covering.

I don't intend to use the loft space for anything at the moment but the house is bitterly cold and i figured i might be able to remedy this by insulating the area between the roof tiles and beams. Is this possible and what would i need to do?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Lofts are meant to be cold and ventelated, just top up the insulation on the loft floor so it is at least 10 inches deep. Make sure any pipes in the loft are also insulated and that the insulation doesn't touch the roof of the loft as it meets the floor.

"the loft floor was insulated about 20 years ago"...do you know what with? Is it boarded/part boarded?

"Under the roof tiles?"...not sure what you mean by this. The tarpaulin stuff, is it papery?

Between my roof joists I have, what seems to be, roll insulation, secured in place by a black papery erm...stuff, which is soft enough to poke your finger through. (There are some pics on a post called LOFT, PURLIN...ETC in this section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back