loft computer room and storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello guys - i am forum virgin who needs some advice. I am currently in the process of making my loft into a room - not a full conversion. We have a baby on the way and my computer room and records will now have to be evicted to the loft space as we only have a two bedroom. This is what we plan to do.

1. raise floor and add boards
2 install velux window
3 add power sockets and lights
4 add loft ladder
5 insulate and board under the tiles (not floorboards)

my main concern, as in all loft spaces is the ventilation and the problems with condensation- obviously the loft is hot in the summer and cold during the winter months. I would like to get the roof to a constant comfortable temperature - i also dont want my records and computer to melt :D .
My rafters under the tiles are quite small only around 3 to 3 " thick - directly under the tiles in some kind of sheeting material - its not felt- the house was built in the 50's. I plan to attach a batten to the underside of this material along the rafters to give me the 50mm gap that i need for ventilation. I will then use 25mm celotex or kingspan as insulation between the rafters and then on top of the rafters use a foiled back plasterboard to make the room look attractive and more homely. As i have a velux window and will leave a small gap around the edge of the floorboards plus i intend to get new soffits with vent holes -do you think this will be able to keep the condensation away. Your help will be hugely appreciated. rgds Hillbilly

Sponsored Links
What you are describing pretty much is a full conversion, and if you are using the room as computer or office use then it becomes habitable and requires building regs to be followed.

It will still costs a fair bit to do what you propose, and will add no value to your home as it will still only be classed as attic space.

thanks - the loft will be mainly used for storage and storing my records- and i will probably sit up there for a couple of hours a day. The cost should be around £3000 - £3500 and when i sell the house i will not advertise the room as a habitable room - just a nice storage area. Do i still need building regs

Once i have raised the floor the height of the loft is only around 6ft 2 at the highest point - so a proper conversion would be doubtful.

cheers

Why bother? Spend the time & money on the nursery room. As to the loft, board the floor (cheapo chipboard flooring from B&Q or Wickes), run power & lighting circuits, decent loft ladder, fan heater - total cost £200. Another advantage of doing it this way will be that 'the computer room' won't be too much of a welcome retreat from the 'duty' of fatherhood. When the call comes to change the nappy or mop-up the puke you will be available and not up in your eyrie shouting down "I'll be down soon, I'm busy at the moment".

Sponsored Links
LOL - Don't worry there is no way i would get away with retreating up there - i know my responsibilities LOL - I just have quite a bit of music equipment, records etc that need storing and my house has no storage space. As for the nursery that bedroom is well and truly catered for. Thanks for your replies.

Your situation sounds almost identical to mine, apart from the baby thing will be in a year or so if all goes to plan. Means I've a little more time to trickle the ideas through and construct a room up there.
Make sure you post updates of how it's getting on, i'll be interested to see what happens and what is trickier than anticipated.

Loft ladder is ready to be installed and hatch made bigger. Power is wired up from when we had a complete rewire done but no actually sockets. Strip light is in.
Still need some natural light and reinforce the floor and ensure venting is reet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back