A sad reminder of why dodgy fitters and diyers are dangerous

hybrid tec training centers an there type should held responsible if it has anything to do with there 6week efforts

Sponsored Links
BlueMoonMole";p="1787855 said:
i have worked in many houses with dodgy joiners, builders etc etc who have damaged a pipe, and also many tenants who leave gas appliances on without lighting them

Which is exactly the reason FSD's are now mandatory in Multi-Occupancy Dwellings :) It's more than likely one of the following;

wouldnt have made a blind bit of difference for the "house" in question, as the cooker was in a house which wrecked 4 other houses, therefore making a complete mockery of the reg in the first place, they bottled the reg change, plain and simple, they should have said "all new cookers as of Jan 08 MUST have an FSD" but no they fudged it again,

hybrid tec training centers an there type should held responsible if it has anything to do with there 6week efforts

F**K off till we find out the truth, here we go again, so a 45yr old mechanical engineer or someone who has worked on all sorts of tricky electrical/electronic equipment for more than 30yrs, cannot learn to do our really tricky job, get a grip, its only gas, i have seen plenty of over 40yr old "fully qualified, fully experienced, time served tradesmen" who are more than capable of leaving the type of work that could cause the type of devastation i seen on telly tonight, so lets all sit back and wait until the truth comes out before we condemn anyone, and if it is a 20yr plus time served super duper guy, what do you suggest we do about him and his shoddy work

Could even have been caused by a leaking infrastructure under the street gas can travel anywhere I don't think there is any point slagging off an imaginary cowboy, who might not even exist - when i was a lad a house in Dovercourt (Essex) was blown up by a gas blast .. guess what the house had no gas supply no meter, no appliances, ziltch! down the road the gas main was leaking and it found its way into the property - Boom! ;)

Sponsored Links
I completely agree it's wrong and they fudged the regs, and that was the point I was making. I should have been more clear!

I live in Manchester, and a close friend happens to be an Incident Investigator at National Grid...

It WAS the cooker that was the source of ignition. But they are uncertain as to where the source of gas came from...

It may take a while, they found the gas meter 30ft away.

Kitchen fitters renovating and reconnected the cooker last night... GSIUR1998 state you don't have to tightness test when reconnecting a PIC... Yikes!

That would have taken a LOT of gas for the damage. A hob ring left on wouldn't have done it, with escapes from the building, improper mixing etc.
One cubic metre of gas under ideal conditions bangs about the same as 10kg of TNT.
One gas ring, is about 0.2 cu m per hour.

You need to clarify those figures Chris.

If a hob ring gave 0.2m³ per hour then overnight in five hours that would be 1 m³.

That 1 m³ of gas would mix with between 6 m³ and 19 m³ of air to form between 7 m³ and 20 m³ of explosive mixture.

That sounds as if it could be quite a good explosion?

10kg of TNT isn't going to bring 3 houses down. The damage is more like a WW2 thousand pounder! I don't see the gas/air ratio affects the energy dissipation numbers ;)
Tha gas rises to the top of a room so you don't get a stoichiometric mix, so you'd need even more gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back