A simple Room Thermostat Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Im new here, and could do with some advice. Im Mech/Elec Industrial maintenance engineer, so i have some skills and know my limits with gas. but domestic stuff is not my skill set.

I have moved into a house with a Honeywell ST1000 programmer for heating and water. and it works just fine. But there is no room stat anywhere in the house. When the heating is on, its on. not an ideal situation, so my questions are simply this. Can I add a room stat to the controller? can you recommend one from screwfix i can pic up. and finally with all the gas safe regs Im assuming im allowed to change the configuration of the controller myself. But if this is a GS only please say, and ill step away from the screwdriver.

I havent even looked at how it needs to be wired in, if any of you have a janet and john guide i'd be grateful.

Thanks for reading, and if anyone needs anything to do with automation, plc work, fabrication and industrial systems please give me a shout.

Sponsored Links
You can quite easily add a thermostat. The type you choose depends on what facilities you require. Some are straight thermostats, others have in built time controls that let you set different temperatures at different times as well as on and off. The sort you choose will determine what wiring is required. Some thermostats need a neutral, others don't. Those with time control built in require a permanent live supply, others require a switched live supply from the programmer.

Personally, as you already have time control, I would just fit a normal thermostat, otherwise you will have to set the hot water times and heating times at different places.

I would buy an electronic thermostat as they are more accurate than mechanical types, but tend to cost more. As with most things you get what you pay for.

My choices from the screwfix range would be:

With temperature display
Electronic Sensing Thermostat

Once you have chosen a thermostat, post back and someone will advise you how to wire it up. The radiators in the room where you install the thermostat should not have TRV's on the radiators, or fires / other heat sources.

Sponsored Links
thanks a lot guys, i've just ordered a Drayton RTS1. that manual that was posted looks like it has all the information i need to get this running.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back