A smelly soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

We've recently moved into a new house and have been finding that at certain times of day we get quite a bit of odour in the bathroom, the soil pipe comes through the external wall and then is boxed in to the toilet, I stripped the boxing off and found the odour is coming from opening in the wall where the soil pipe passes through, initially I tried sealing around the pipe where it comes through the wall with some expanding foam, this just moved the odour so that it came out of a hole further up the wall. So I thought I better find the root cause and where the pipe is venting into the wall.
I thought perhaps the seal where the horizontal pipe enters the stack might be leaking, but after breaking the mountain of mortar out of the wall around the pipe I found that the problem wasn't there at all, it all seemed fine and there wasn't anything leaking.
But then I noticed a hole where the soil pipe goes into the ground, and this is where the odour comes out, but the stone work on the wall around here is quite poor, I suspect what's happening is the odour was coming out here and creeping into the wall and then coming up the wall through the stone work before leaving in the bathroom, would that make sense?

I've had a poke down the hole with a screwdriver and it seems to be quite deep so I'm thinking I better take the stack off and redo it.
What sort of socket should there be? or is it OK to just grout the hole up and then put the soil pipe back and grout around that too?

Some pics to give you an idea:

19673772703_70597caebe_k.jpg

20268468216_ac6cba3146_c.jpg

19673768393_0d4f1a6912_c.jpg

Annoyingly it's been put together with solvent weld fittings too, is there a way to separate these without breaking them or cutting the pipe?
Excuse the loose stone, haven't got any lime mortar yet and I'm not just filling it with portland cement mortar like the previous builder/bodger, so found some stones to fill in most of the hole.

19673769263_30a3f80537_c.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The pipe should go into a ground connection and on to the manhole, there shouldn't be a gap or you'd end up with a smelly flood. You've got to cut the pipe if you want to take that down, there's no way of un-gluing a glued fitting

So perhaps might be worth digging it all up and redoing it with a new pipe through to the manhole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back