Soil Stack Vent Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for guidance for my soil stack vent pipe. I have a first floor flat and am refitting an ensuite bathroom.

On ripping out the old fittings and tiles I uncovered a soil stack vent pipe. It was boxed in, but it seems a little strange to have a vent terminating inside the house.

As you can see from the picture, the toilet is next to the stack and I plan to fit a concealed cistern frame and a wall hung pan.

However, after a few days of having the bathroom undisturbed I'm noticing a grim odour no doubt emanating from the stack (I've stuffed plastic bags into the exposed drain pipes to stop a. the smell and b. debris from clogging them up)

If need be I'll just include the vent pipe in the same boxed in housing as the toilet cistern similar to before.

Above the bathroom ceiling there is a crawl space. In this crawl space the bathroom extractors vent up through the old chimney.

Do I have any further options available to do away with the soil pipe vent and its potentially associated smells?

Sponsored Links
This is an automatic air admittance valve and means the stack can be vented internally instead of outside. You could extend this to the loft space which would be of some use if you intend to box it in, for future maintenance purposes.

Sponsored Links
It's only whiffing 'cos the W.C. has been removed and you have no trap seal :idea:

Hmm may well be the case, although I have stuffed a dustbin bag in the exposed soil pipe and carrier bags into the sink and bath drainage points to minimise this and to keep out building dust/etc. Clearly this isn't enough to keep the nasty niffs away.

Anyway, I'll give it a damned good ignoring until I come to fit the bathroom properly. Currently working on the Kitchen as a first priority!

Thanks for the help, I'll post again no doubt!

Can't se what's under he pipe-clip.
You may be able to take the tee off altogether and put the straight section (with the valve) in - at least then you'd be able to determine whether it's malfunctioning.

Nothing under the pipe clip.

I think I read that the AAV has to have its outlet higher than the highest overflow. In this case I guess that would be the overflow in my kitchen.

Can anyone confirm this to be true, if not the case am I able to lop a few inches off the top of the soil pipe before refitting the AAV? Its not massively important that I do so, its just that it would reduce the size of the boxed in part of the toilet housing and probably look better for it!

I think I read that the AAV has to have its outlet higher than the highest overflow. In this case I guess that would be the overflow in my kitchen

The AAV or Durgo has to be higher than the highest trap outlet in your case ,probably the washbasin.

A Durgo valve is not intended to be the sole vent for all your appliances, you still need a vent to outside.

A Durgo valve is not intended to be the sole vent for all your appliances, you still need a vent to outside.

What's on the other side of the walls? If the big, wide world, you may be able to divert the stack and subsequent vent outside, thus keeping the pipework low and easier to box in.

What's on the other side of the walls? If the big, wide world, you may be able to divert the stack and subsequent vent outside, thus keeping the pipework low and easier to box in.

You can`t use a Durgo instead of venting to outside, simple as.

You can`t use a Durgo instead of venting to outside, simple as.

Wasn't suggesting it - if diverted outside, above the tee, then eliminates the need for the durgo.

swidders
This is an automatic air admittance valve and means the stack can be vented internally instead of outside.

;)

I'm not disagreeing with you here Bamber. The op wants to lower the durgo to help keep the boxing-in low, which may, or may not be possible. Am suggesting that he gets rid of the durgo altogether and vents externally.

I'm not disagreeing with you here Bamber.

Very civil of you old Bean.

The op wants to lower the durgo to help keep the boxing-in low, which may, or may not be possible. Am suggesting that he gets rid of the durgo altogether and vents externally.

The fact that his system already has a durgo would suggest that it`s probably improbable to vent to outside. He can reduce the height by simply making sure that the Durgo is slightly higher than his highest trap outlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back