A Tale to Tell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It may say it does what it says on the tin but it does not say that whats in the tin may come as a big surprise. I recently purchased some Decking Oil 1 x 5 ltr tin in one major Irish owned Dublin hardware store and 2 x 2.5 ltr tins in a Dublin branch of a very major UK owned. Both very reputable stores I might add. Imagine my surprise on discovering that all 3 tins had huge amounts of seriously solidified gunge in them, 2" in each of the smaller ones and 3.5" in the larger. This was like concrete and impossible to mix. Instructions said shake well before use, with what an atomic device. This product comes in oil can type tins with integrated pourer which are difficult to see into and so many might not realise that the product is not right. My attention was drawn to the problem only by the fact that the tin seemed very heavy after I had poured the contents into a basin to allow me use the Ronseal roller so I cut the tin in half with a metal shears, thats when I discovered the hidden foundations. I returned to the points of purchase with the intention of doing a simple exchange but decided to do a little detective work first. I tested approx 20 tins of Ronseal Decking Oil in each store by knocking on their base's. This test returned a solid sound and feel which suggested that at least 25% of their contents were solidified. This seperation of the ingredients has to diminish if not destroy this product's ability to do what it says on the tin so I opted for a refund and purchased Cuprinol Decking Oil which though more expensive was liquid, gunge free and went on a treat.

hitbit

Sponsored Links
Yes I suppose by the very fact that the Cuprinol product was in excellent condition and usable while the Ronseal one was deplorable it is an advertisement for Cuprinol. It happens that it was Cuprinol which did what it said on the tin. You could hardly expect me to recommend Ronseal after my experience with it. This incident cost me money and time and has put me off Ronseal products. When I need varnish I will buy Sadolin or Spinnaker etc not Ronseal. I tend to judge manufacturers by the way they respond when things go wrong. Ronseal have not been bothered to respond to my concerns / complaint regarding this product. As consumers, we will get nowhere if we accept poor quality goods which fail to meet the promises made by their manufacturers. I make no apology for criticizing companies who have no difficulty taking my hard earned money for poor products. Similarly I will never hesitate to acknowledge those who provide me with a quality product. Forums are about sharing and this is what I have done, shared my experiences with Ronseal and Cuprinol. While some might see this as an advertisement for Cuprinol others might take the view that suggesting it as such might be an advertisement for Ronseal.
If you care to visit CastleCops XXX a forum for computer related matters you will find I do not confine my criticism / praise to Ronseal and Cuprinol supplied products.
Stand up for your rights, Speak Out.

hitbit

Sponsored Links
Ok fine but if you have experience of using or knowledge about a superior product please share the information.

hitbit

It would be interesting to know the contents of the replies you receive. For what’s it worth, I have discovered that the more you pay for wood preservative products the better the quality. But it can also work out cheaper in the long run. I usually pay about £40 for a 2.5 ltr tin of fence treatment. However, the colour lasts a lot longer than the cheap stuff and so I spend less time and money applying further coats.

I always write to the manufacturer when I have problems with shoddy goods, although I accept my contract is with the store from which I bought the goods in the first place. I recently returned two Hozelock garden sprayers because, funnily enough, both had developed a similar fault after about a year. They didn’t play nice at first and insisted I contact the store with proof of purchase etc. I told them I didn’t have receipts. It wasn’t until I mentioned the words “merchantable quality” and my intention of writing a letter to Trading Standards that they relented and sent me two new sprayers. I think the point they were making was that they were over a year old and it was unfortunate that this fault had developed. Unfortunate for them as it turned out. Your rights don’t suddenly disappear after the guarantee period has expired, although there are a lot of people who have difficulty grasping this concept.

Beside me is a beautiful chrome Wilkinson Sword hand trowel with a wooden handle. It cost me nearly a tenner a few months back. Last week it snapped in two and I don’t have a receipt. Guess who I’m writing to next??!!

Stan

lx200gps said:
Guess who I’m writing to next??!!

Stan

I don't know , but if the poor sod dies of boredom - guess who the Police will arrest?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back