a Tap Stat?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What exactly is a "TAP STAT"? and where would they be fitted and their purpose? I have heard them mentioned in some posts on this site but have never seen one and never read about one either!??

Sponsored Links
thanks for the link! so basically they are to give extra protection to hot water draw offs (like a thermostatic mixer valve). only thing is they all seem to be 15mm connections and most primary connections to and from the hwsv are 22mm!!

correct me anyone if i am wrong - but a tapstat is like a trv - has a pressure pin inside and controls the water from the h/w cylinder - it's like a 2nd thermostat/control device (as well as the cylinder stat). It is not linked up to the wiring centre box like a cylinder stat, it just connects into the pipework and works the same as a trv does.

Sponsored Links
It is very much like a TRV... except that instead of having the Thermostat in the knob, it is on a capillary tube. you put the bulb on the end of this tube against the cylinder. When the cylinder is hot it shuts off the valve.

You use it on a system with gravity flow to cylinder. It shuts off the circulation from boiler to cylinder, when the cylinder is hot. You would not use it on a system with a cylinder stat controlling a motorised valve, there would be no point.

When you have a Tapstat in your hand you can see that it is remarkably similar to a Drayton TRV4, as if it was made to much the same design. The head looks the same.

John, you can also use it on fully pumped system too. Although you are right - you can use them on gravtiy flow to the hot water cylinder (they have 28mm connections).

The fully pumped ones though have 15mm connections! So i don't know exactly where they would be used as most (if not all) flow/returns to a hot water cylinder are 22mm for fully pumped system!

it doesn't control the temperature of the water coming out of the taps, it controls the primary feed heating the cylinder (though this might indirectly have a similar effect)

yep it controls the flow going into the cylinder (or can be on the return) but same principle anyway.

So as you say it's silly having a cylinder stat as well as a tap stat! Plus tap stat's are much more expensive (about 75-80 pounds)!!

Is there any real advatage of having one?!.....

if you have a gravity system, and for some reason no electrical control of HW flow. This used to happen in older installations. Sometimes it would be a lot of work to add a Cylinder stat and Zone valve (e.g. cable run over a long distance, floors to take up, furniture to move, carpets to lift) and a 28mm Zone valve is not very cheap either so it might be an even more expensive upgrade. I doubt these are used on new installs these days.

Even older systems sometimes had a Cyltrol valve on the cylinder return, which is similar in effect, equally expensive, and can jam when untouched for many years.

I am a householder not a plumber but have come across one of these systems.

a Cyltrol valve! are these blue in colour? I have heard of them briefly but never seen one! I suppose they are the same as tapstats but just another properietary brand?

also now sold by Drayton. The plastic cap is now blue I think (used to be grey). the thermostat is inside the valve so no capillary tube, it works on return water temp, not cylinder temp.

to my knowledge tap stats are normally fitted to gravity systems where there is currently no control over the hw (except the boiler stat).. we normally fit them wen the cylinder needs replacing, as its part of the energy eff regs that the cylinder needs some sort of temp control and this is norm the cheapest option

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back