plumbers sealant/compound??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as mentioned before briefly i fitted a new monobloc tap in my bathroom, using flexy connectors 12mm to 15mm pipe. i used the fibre washers supplied which made the seal. But I have read a bit of silicone/compound around the fibre washer helps make an even better watertight seal. What's the best type of putty/compound to use for taps/wastes, etc? i heard plumbers blue is good but have never seen it !!?? in future if it makes the joint/seal even more watertight then i'll get some!!:)

Sponsored Links
i read it in a diy book a while back before i started doing any plumbing. it looked a bit like a tub of flux!!

if it doesnt leak how can you get it 'more' water tight :?:

Sponsored Links
lol i get your point-what i meant was like some people put sealant or putty around atap hole before the tap goes through and on the underside before the backnut and washer. it helps to make a better seal! for in future if it's good i'll buy some. what type of silicone sealant do you guys use btw for taps/wastes as there are sooo many types out there!

the only blue i know is jet blue which is a jointing compound, but not for wastes etc.

i always use this on wastes etc, and not a bugger to remove.

img_0310.jpg

ok thanks, i'll look out for that. is it available in wickes/b and q? that'sgood that it is not a bugger to remove in future if a new tap/waste etc is needed!! thanks for your advice

its made by durabond
see it in alot of builders merchants etc for about £4.50
but our local factory shop does it for a £1 .

When using fibre washers, I give them a short soak in water first before making the connection.
Twas a tip gifted to me by an old timer, never failed me.

They say tips where made for sharing :confused:

;)

agree makes them abit softer to work with and a better seal when they swel abit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back