a tip about removing ceramic wall tiles from plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just in case it helps anyone, we started taking ceramic bathroon tiles off using a hammer and a brick bolster, trying to be as careful as possible, but it still massacred the plasterboard.

I found we did a much better job using a garden paving weeding knife as a chisel, one that looks like this:

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=44990

Mine was less posh plastic handled one. It broke before the job was finished, but I happily bought another as we saved a fortune in replastering costs! - It still made a few holes, but plaster patch soon sorted that!

hope this may be useful to someone some day!!

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :evil: :LOL:

you don't do much gardening then??!!

It was seriously good though, - the blade is strong enough to shift the tiles, thin enough to be accurate, and allows a shallow enough angle to avoid going straight through into the plasterboard.

ill stick to ripping out the entire wall, far quicker and better in the long run :cool:

Sponsored Links
I agree, but i'm on a very tight budget, and I can do a good job of tiling and patching but not confident to do plasterboarding :( mind you, if I'd found you people before starting, I might have tackled it - never mind, ther's always next time!! :LOL:

This may not be the place, but I need to remove a slim set of tiles on the underside of a return.

Couldn't get 'em to stay in place when fitting, and never 'planned' on taking them off again until I was told to by she who must be obeyed

...... just wish I hadn't used PINKGRIP :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This may not be the place, but I need to remove a slim set of tiles on the underside of a return.

Couldn't get 'em to stay in place when fitting, and never 'planned' on taking them off again until I was told to by she who must be obeyed

...... just wish I hadn't used PINKGRIP :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

you are right, this isnt the place, rule 4339.998 sub section 8343;.3483 paragraph 438428.2424 statwes you should start your own thread.

but as your here......

small chisel and hammer shuold suffice, if you dont want to damage the wall be careful!

:cool:

Good tip for getting tiles off any surface...I use a thin-bladed slate-ripper...you can even hammer the handle on tough tiles....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back