A very basic question...which "eye hooks" to use i

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to hang some acoustic panels in my new music room. They are made of a light timber frame and a sheet of Rockwool/Rocksilk RS60 insulation slab (1200mm x 600mm x 100mm). Here's a link to a similar trap (scroll through the first eight pics):

http://thewombforums.com/showthread.php?t=16184

I plan to put eye hooks in the ceiling (hopefully hitting the joists!!!), then - with a combination of string/rope and cable ties - get them nice and flush to the ceiling.

But I'm not sure what eye hooks to go for as there seem to be two different types, normal and vine eye. For example:

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...earch=15851&searchbutton.x=0&searchbutton.y=0

(also available in 100mm)

and

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...earch=16205&searchbutton.x=0&searchbutton.y=0

(also available in 55mm)

So - sorry to be DIY thick but which would be best to use?

And one other thing - I'm a bit worried that the poly garden twine string I have might not be strong enough, so any recommendations for a cheap alternative would be really helpful too.

Cheers

Max

Sponsored Links
Vine eyes are easier to insert deeper into the joists and will therefore give you more adjustment, but how will you attach your twine or wire to your panels?
John :)

Thanks for the reply.

I should have added that unlike the traps in the thread I linked to, mine have a couple of supporting batons at the back (the part that will be against the ceiling).
______
So the back forms this pattern: [_¦_¦_]

My plan is to run the twine/wire under the two support batons (the broken lines in the pic above). The at each end of the string/wire I'll tie large cable ties. I can the put the cable ties through the eyelets, fasten them, and then pull them tight - which in theory should bring the trap nice and close/flush to the ceiling.....

Thats fine - your difficulty will be getting everything level, I guess. It could be a help if you used eyes with an open end - much easier to hook things off and on that way.
In fact, you could screw hooks into the panel battens and eyes into the ceiling joists if you want. It depends on what distance of suspension you need.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I actually want the panels to be flush/tight up to the ceiling - which is why I thought about using cable ties..... so once they are hanging with a small gap, the cable ties can be pulled and the trap will rise and sit tight against the ceiling.

Thinking about it though, I'm going to have to make sure the eyes are close to the outer edges otherwise I'm going to have trouble when the time comes to take them back down again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back