A whole bunch of questions and such.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right.. I have a whole lot of questions. I currently have a concept for an arcade platform. I'm very proud of the schematics so far. However I am having a large group of issues, all of which I'll try and get addressed here.

1) A platform I'm using is constructed from stainless steel. There is a base layer, and on top, are a group of stainless steel bars on the middle layer, all inter connected. My question is: How can I secure stainless steel together? How can I get a *very* solid joint? I know with wood it's as simple as grabbing some screws or nails, but somehow I doubt the process is similar for metal.

2) I need to use pressure sensors in my platform, which need to be held into place. I therefore need a holder made out of a substance similar to rubber with an adhesive I can apply to metal, that will hold the sensor. I'm not sure where I can find anyone who'd make such an item.

3) Where can I acquire these materials? I've looked around and found some sellers, but I'm not sure who to trust, and who will accept custom orders to cut me say 2 500x500x200mm steel panels for an example.

4) Who should I go to for metal framework (i.e. to bend sheets of metal to fit certain parts?)

Any information will be GREATLY appreciated, and any information needed from me to help out, I will be happy to provide.

Thanks all,
- Brittany

Sponsored Links
You can weld steel , but I have no idea what it is you wish to make? :?: :?: :?:

I'm basically designing an arcade dance machine, known as a DDR Machine to some (go search google images for one.)

However, the standard machines are very low quality, and I honestly think I can do a better job.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3512/3241348307_106fc89a9e.jpg

This is a picture of one with the top parts taken off. I am looking to reproduce the white section for my design.

im sure if you took your drawings to a local engineering firm, ie one that makes wrought iron gates and railings and such like then they'd be able to help.

As for sticking you pressure pads to the stainless then good old silicone, the stuff you seal doors and windows with will easily do the job

good luck with your project :D

Sponsored Links
The pressure pads would need to be sunk in there own compartment, much like the design in the pic, no point sticking them to SS.
Why stainless steel, seems a waste of money, whats exactly wrong with the current design?

The pressure pads would need to be sunk in there own compartment, much like the design in the pic, no point sticking them to SS.
Why stainless steel, seems a waste of money, whats exactly wrong with the current design?

That design in the photo *is* stainless steel. And the current design is utterly useless in terms of it's panels and sensitivity/shock resistance. I need to figure out how to make some holders for the sensors, but I'm not too sure where I can find anyone who could manufacture rubber holders for them. (And also, in the photo there are no sensors placed. That is the solid structure with all of the internal bits pulled out)

My design is very different, and I've figured most of it out already. I just needed to know who I might go to to put together a solid steel structure.

Just when we thought Sat Night Fever had died away it's back :p

Sorry non-technical post, I had a Deja Vu moment and couldn't resist :confused:

try weatherite LTD, they make air con units as a rule but they do metalwork projects for some other companies when they are slack..
they make kit boxes for the back of RAC vans, Computer desk for schools and other things..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back