Struggling to hang a heavy metal garage door....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title.

Metal 2/3 to 1/3 garage door.
Metal frame.
2/3 side has dropped such that it has to be lifted to engage the lock - hinges old and have previously snapped, and interior door hinges have been bodged in with woodscrews instead.

Plan to angle grind off all prior hinges, and replace with something sturdy: 100mm stainless fire door or similar type hinges?

I can rivet, so no worries about fixing the hinges to the frame (which is hollow sheet steel section, and therefore have to be blind fixings).

Am I best dropping the door completely, fixing all of the hinges to the door while it is on the deck, then offering it up to the frame?

Or, any other clever / ingenious suggestions as to how I am to proceed?

Thanks in anticipation (y)

Sponsored Links
if they are heavy is the building leaning and dropping the lock side down

Is the gate adjustable in any way once the hinges are fixed?

If not then it has to be supported into the desired position and then affixed. If I understand your issue, that is what defines the best method ?

Sponsored Links
Can you open the door, chock it to prevent drop and change one hinge at a time .

Is the gate adjustable in any way once the hinges are fixed?

If not then it has to be supported into the desired position and then affixed. If I understand your issue, that is what defines the best method ?

Door, and no.

Tried that, and failed miserably.
Being metal, it is a pain to accurately drill out the new holes with it in place.

Can you open the door, chock it to prevent drop and change one hinge at a time .

Tried that, but really awkward to drill accurately with it in place.

It opens to 90 degrees, but there is an internal lip on the frame, so I can't get the drill (and riveter) perpendicular to the door edge, with the door open and chocked (should have stated this in OP; apologies).

OK, in light of the above, is taking the whole thing off, fixing the hinges to the door first, then offering up (chocking, marking and drilling frame), then fixing, NOT a sensible way to proceed?
And if not, what pitfalls am I setting myself up for?

Last edited:
Done.

Angle-ground the knackered top and bottom hinges off (plus the snapped remnants of the middle one), and took the whole door off.

Fixed three 100mm stainless ball-bearing hinges (pretty heavy-duty ones) to the door, with machine screws, backed up with washers and nylon locknuts.

Chocked door in frame, and marked hinge positions on jamb.

Drilled out holes, chocked door in open position, and riveted hinges in.

Sorted :giggle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back