Can you drill into the concrete posts on a prefab garage??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

looking to change al aging rotting door on our prefab garage (Changing the roof and windown also) and would like to put a basic upvc door in, even a second hand one if I can find the right size.

My question is around the fixing of it - I am aware these types of doors are pretty heavs, and that the fixings need good purchase.

The current frame is basically help in by metal plates, that if loosenes off (via nuts) and turned 90 degrees would allow the frame to come out into the garage.

I'm aware I will need to pack the gap out with wood anyway, but am wondering if I really need to be drilling straight into the 2 concrete pillars either side of the door to get a proper strong fixing that will hold the door and frame in postion.

Are these concrete posts drillable, or might there be a risk of damaging/cracking them?

Many thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
They are drillable, but they are hard as hell with reinforcement bars in the thicker sections. Drill small holes first followed by larger drills to minimise bursting.
Maybe you could use the existing steel plates to help hold in the new frame?
John :)

Thanks for that fast reply John!

That was my concern, how easily they would drill - looking around I am thinking I would need an SDS drill to do it?
Such as this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PBH-2...ef=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1266746091&sr=1-9
512GRKZNkgL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I will have another look and see if there might be a way to avoid drilling the posts, I'm just concerned the door frame will sag, and then I won't be able to get in the garage anymore!
Having said that the concern of the post bursting sounds more catastrophic :eek:

Thanks for the tip on drilling small and inicreasing the bit size, I had used that method successully when drilling through wall tiles before, but it wouldn't automatically have popped into my head for this.

I'm also wanting to drill some holes in the concrete floor as I am wanting to drop some bolts into them to increase securty of the up and over door, so I expect I will need access to an SDS drill for that anyway.

Oh and if I was going to drill into the concrete posts, what type of fixing would I use to secure the door/frame into it?
I'm familiar with using rawl plugs for most other work, would I need a specific type of plug/fixing for this task?

Cheers

Dan

How was /is the existing door fixed? I put a new door on my mothers a few years ago and used the existing fixing locations, although i had to re drill a few of them.

Sponsored Links
Beware that if you are planning on going all the way through, the back side will break apart in a bigger area than the front of the hole.

It may also knacker your drill bits.

Try fixing the frame in place with the existing steel plates if you can - you could always double up on these or fabricate other brackets. An SDS drill will work very well, but the bit will tend to grab if it hits any rebar in there, so drill carefully and ease off the pressure when you're almost through to avoid a large chunk of masonry bursting off. If you do decide to bolt through, large penny washers are great at spreading the load and covering damage.
John :)

Thanks for all those useful replies chaps,

The current door and frame are just held in by the metal plates, so just tensioned in really - in the same way the windows would be if you are familiar with prefab garages.

I think with the potential for major problems, I am going to try and bag a second hand upvc door that is smaller than the opening I am using, I am then going to replace the current door frame surround with new wood (What's there is very thin and around 20+ years old) and I am hoping if I fill the gap, so there is no room to flex, then the frame won't sag.

I will go that route first, and if it gives me grief I will have to take it all out and try and drill the concrete posts - I think it makes sense to give the original fittings a chance though.

Cheers

Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back