Fitting wooden garage doors and frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wooden garage doors and frame is very old and needs to be replaced. My diy books only mention the fitting of steel doors. I've seen the new wooden doors at the local merchant and they look pretty substantial. So I am very concerned how I can fit a wooden frame strong enough for this kind of doors. I would really appreciate instructions (for dummies) on how to fit the whole thing (frame and doors).

Sponsored Links
A standard wooden frame of 3x2 will be strong enough.The legs are kept apart by the top rail you see and use frame fixings all round. The important thing is to get strong hinges.Use 3 large gate hinges ('T' hinges) per door making sure the screws enter into a cross rail and you should be ok.You might want to pilot drill the screw holes first so you don't split the frame or door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back