Cutting metal embedded in concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
full

Can someone please give me some advice on a suitable tool for cutting a square end on the sliding garage door channel pictured above. As you can see, the track is encased in concrete and has rotted away on the curve of the door.
I am planning to construct a new section for the curve which will butt up to the original one pictured. In order to butt the two together neatly so the door runs freely in the channel, I need to cut back and square the end on the old one. For scale, the width of the concrete channel is 35mm
I thought, perhaps drilling a line of holes across the metal and then chopping it out with a cold chisel?
Or slicing across the metal and concrete with a disc cutter? Can I get a small blade that will cut both together?
Any better ideas please?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
These channels are often hard as hell....if its acceptable to you, I'd use an angle grinder with a stone cutting disc - it will go through steel too. A 115mm disc should be fine.
John :)

A diamond blade in a grinder will also go through both materials.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies guys. I think the angle grinder option is a good one as I will have to repair the concrete around the track anyway.
I have some other questions about my plan for the repair, so I may start a new thread on that.
Ta.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back