Tiling: how do I cut an L-shape?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When cutting a tile to fit around an immovable object (in this case a pattress box for a fused outlet) is it possible to cut the tile into an l-shape? For example, take a 6 inch square tile and cut a 2 inch by 2 inch square out of one corner?

The only way I can think to do it is to run the tile cutter across the tile to make a 4 inch wide piece and a 2 inch wide piece, then run the cutter across the 2 inch piece to take the end off and glue the tiles in place together.

Now this doesn't sound like it would give a good finish! What tools and methods would I use to cut it leaving the tile in one piece?

Sponsored Links
Use a tile saw like this
You may find it wise to practice on a spare tile first so you get used to how much pressure to apply with the saw but they are very useful tools to have.

As I'm tiling my whole bathroom I invested in an electric tile saw - it makes cutting tiles so easy and handles 'L' shape cuts with ease.
I go mine from Screwfix.

If you use a manual tile saw remember not to pick it up by the blade after using it :oops:

Goofyish said:
If you use a manual tile saw remember not to pick it up by the blade after using it :oops:

But surely the blistering and scarring could be seen as a symbol of belonging by fellow DIYers, not to mention saving on the cost of "I tiled my own bathroom and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" t-shirts. :LOL:

The amount of heat given off by even such things as wood screws being screwed into too small holes is impressive. When drilling timber I have hit resin pockets and with all the smoke that pours out, wondered "how often do people actually set a piece of 3x2 on fire when drilling it?" :LOL:

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
The amount of heat given off by even such things as wood screws being screwed into too small holes is impressive. When drilling timber I have hit resin pockets and with all the smoke that pours out, wondered "how often do people actually set a piece of 3x2 on fire when drilling it?" :LOL:
You could inform the producers of "I'm A Celebrity....."
On second thoughts don't, I couldn't stand another series ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well, I have bought the water-cooled electric tile saw and can't wait to use it (2 or 3 weeks away, work permitting). Combining spinning diamond circular saws with 400 watts, water cooling and my DIY skills is bound to get me on the next "DIY disasters" program! :LOL:

Seriously, I will be very VERY careful with this one as I saw the episode where a bloke accidentally cut his own arm off with a bench saw and this tool looks almost identical.

As my job hazard level has increased, so has my attention to safety. Definitely a good thing as when removing old tiles today I had glaze chips bouncing off my goggles and plaster dust on my respirator. If only I had been wearing my rigger gloves then I wouldn't have dropped the bolster on my toes. Luckily, I was wearing steelies. :D Can't wait for a job to try out my new hard hat, just better remove it before going out in case someone mistakes me for a member of the Village People!

A few tips on the tile saw -

I bolted mine the top of my B&D work mate - keeps it nice and secure and at a nice working height,
You will need to top up the cooling water quite often, this also helps to keep down the dust. Put some plastic sheeting and a bucket under the saw to catch the drips!

Have fun!

Ah, thanks for the tips! Shall be using them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back