Hanging a new interior door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilema with a new interior door I've just bought.

All the interior doors in my house are the 4 panel hollow type. Now, the one I bought is a solid item and weighs 3 times as much.

I have a router etc and have decided that the original 3 hole hinges are not strong enough, maybe they are - I don't know.

I have ordered some heavy duty 4" hinges which have 4 holes. I have never hung a door before but have watched a few videos on Youtube, but am still not confident taking the job on.

If the original hinges are strong enough it should be relatively easy to fit the new door.
However, if I have to use the larger hinges I'm not sure what to do regarding cutouts in the door jam.

Please advise.

Sponsored Links
You need to cut matching recesses in both door and casing leg. It may be as well to fill the original holes in the casing using the match and glue technique before routing out the new recess (over the position of the old one). Convention dictates that the top hinge on a door is set about 6in/150mm down from the top and the bottom one 9in/225mm up from the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given you already have hinges I assume you're replacing an old door which is damaged or otherwise just old and scruffy?

Assuming the old door is going in a skip, why don't you use this as a practice? Use the door lock side to rebate your hinges, etc. and make sure you're comfortable before you start on the new one?

I've replaced all the doors in my last two properties, along with new doorframes in the last one. It's not "difficult" but you do need to be very patient when you're starting out. Don't be surprised if it takes you half a day or even a full day to fit a single door if this is your first time :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back