Refitting internal door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just moved into my first house, and am setting about tidying it up. I will be replacing some of the old internal doors.

I have bought a new door, but unfortunately, the holes in the new hinge do not line up exactly with the holes in the doorframe from the old hinge.

What would be the best way to solve this?
  • 1. Put the new hinges in slightly lower or higher, avoiding the holes from the old on?
    2. Use some kind of filler to fill in the old holes and give myself a new solid place to drill screw holes?
    3. Get a new door frame?
    4. Something else?

If I just moved the hinges slightly down or up, what would be the best way to fill in the little bit of leftover cutout from the old hinge? Is there a filler made for this type of thing?

Many thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
as a pro i always fit the top hinge 6 inches from the top of the door and the bottom hinge 9 inches up from the bottom.

this way all the doors through the house look the same. any deviation from this can look odd.

with regards to the old screw holes, make a dowel peg out of wood and tap it into the old screw hole with a bit of wood glue. then pilot and fix as normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back