Any alternative to welding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to construct a platform, hinged at one side, over the steps leading down to my basement. The platform will be surfaced with 15mm OSB and used to store bicycles as there's no-where else available.

I was thinking to make the framework out of 30mm steel square section tubes; just a frame with a few cross members:

ASCII ART: (should be in Courier)
+------------+-------------+-------------+
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

Does anyone have any suggestion as an alternative to welding? I was thinking of cutting fillets from sheet metal and screwing or riveting them on, as moth of the rigidity will come from the OSB I think this is sufficient.

As I'm outside the UK I don't have access to all goodies available in the UK but might be able to find something suitable. The hinges would be installed along one of the long sides.

PS the ascii art was made here: www.asciiflow.com/#Draw

Many thanks...

Sponsored Links
Consider angle iron as its easier to bolt together......over here we can get slotted angle iron (steel actually) and we used to call it Dexion when it first came out.
I've seen the stuff all over Europe so it should be available.
John :)

Sponsored Links
bicycle rack or hook is more efficient and easier to install.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/wall-bike-rack[/QUOTE]

I considered bike hooks but the problem is getting the bikes on and off of them - don't forget we are over stairs here!

Thanks for the Dexion suggestions, that's a good idea but (unf.) I've already bought the steel as I was going to have it welded professionally... Maybe I can use them elsewhere and get some Dexion, which I think I've seen somewhere around. Maybe just Dexion corners with steel in between... Busy weekend approaches... :LOL:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I considered bike hooks but the problem is getting the bikes on and off of them - don't forget we are over stairs here!

Much harder to get them off a platform as it has to be much higher to avoid hitting your head on it.
You could also use a pulley to lift them clear.

You can get pulley systems for hanging bicycles off a ceiling, I have 2 (from lidl) that my canoes hang on in one of my sheds

You could make your own using a few pulleys and some sash cord

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back