Aah! Dilemmas, Dilemmas. Career Change

Sponsored Links
Coming from an IT Trained professional, don't. For the love of god don't. For your sanity and all that you hold dear....
All this, "the IT sector has the most available jobs" CARP!!! Absolute CARP!
I sat my MCSE (which, Deluks, was not a Quickie and at £5k nor was it cheap) I then went on to do my Cisco Software and Network course (another £3k well spent) and finally my Oracle DBA accreditation...
In total 5 years of work...
I couldn't get a job in the IT sector, no jobs unless you have 3 years experience of server work.
So I decided to do a Lean SixSigma accreditation and now I'm a business improvement manager, maybe used my IT knowledge a handful of times and that's only been when ordering better kit for the businesses that I contract for.

Errr anyone can PAT test, virtually.
Check it out.
No need for outside inspectors.

Yes, but organisations still use external PAT testers.

Since getting 5 Years experience under your belt at 50 is realistically not going to be easy ( sorry, but I'm in the same age range so I know the problems), setting yourself up to do PAT testing could be a realistic option, particularly as you don't seem set upon world domination with your new found career, just an income.

You could perhaps combine this with a handyman service, remember, that you need to be qualified to do any electrical work in people's properties nowadays, so that excludes the general handyman.

Good Luck!! :)

Coming from an IT Trained professional, don't. For the love of god don't. For your sanity and all that you hold dear....
All this, "the IT sector has the most available jobs" CARP!!! Absolute CARP!
I sat my MCSE (which, Deluks, was not a Quickie and at £5k nor was it cheap) I then went on to do my Cisco Software and Network course (another £3k well spent) and finally my Oracle DBA accreditation...
In total 5 years of work...
I couldn't get a job in the IT sector, no jobs unless you have 3 years experience of server work.
So I decided to do a Lean SixSigma accreditation and now I'm a business improvement manager, maybe used my IT knowledge a handful of times and that's only been when ordering better kit for the businesses that I contract for.

IT has always been like that, there are loads of jobs advertised, but my guess is you didnt get considered, also bearing in mind that IT skills are pretty transitory, if you dont get a job in IT quickly, much of what you learnt will evaporate anyway.

Still it could be worse you could be a C++ programmer, I cant pass any C++ exams to save my life, despite having done it for 15 years. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Problem was Eddie, I made interview on many of the positions I went for only to be told I didn't have the experience - so thanks for wasting my time.
I reckon my MCSE is now pretty much out of date as it was based on 2003 NT server, Cisco doesn't seem to have a use-by on it and Oracle is Oracle.

Doing the Lean Six Sigma accreditation was the best move I ever made, with more and more service industries picking up on it it's really opening doors now.

I don't. Think oracle is oracle,it depends on the version 11g being the one now, but yes ur MCSE has definitely exppired. Wwish you could get C++ certified to end these damn fool tests, but you can't!

Time for an update I suppose.

Finished the college courses at Finchale, which I flew through.

Got a 6 week placement with a fella, Tony, who lives a 20min walk away from me. Currently he is guaranteeing me 16hrs plus per week minimum (usually closer to five days) at a meager 60 sobs a day (net) until the end of October.

All the college stuff gave me the grounding as to why things are done, but working with Tony has showed me how things are done. How I ever wired anything before without cable rods is beyond me!!

Thoroughly enjoying myself. Every day is different as Durham is very much student let land. We (?) do electrics and any odd jobs required.

Yesterday was wiring up a Do-nut van! Tomorrow start work on a new house that will have every conceivable modern gadget installed in every room. Even has a helicopter in the 5 car garage that is bigger than my house.

I've done a couple of little jobs "independently" which, tbh, if I can get £40 a week minimum, with my new enterprise bungs, means I'll not be worse off.

So. To sum up. Happy as a shig in pit at the mo!

Time for an update I suppose.

Finished the college courses at Finchale, which I flew through.

Got a 6 week placement with a fella, Tony, who lives a 20min walk away from me. Currently he is guaranteeing me 16hrs plus per week minimum (usually closer to five days) at a meager 60 sobs a day (net) until the end of October.

All the college stuff gave me the grounding as to why things are done, but working with Tony has showed me how things are done. How I ever wired anything before without cable rods is beyond me!!

Thoroughly enjoying myself. Every day is different as Durham is very much student let land. We (?) do electrics and any odd jobs required.

Yesterday was wiring up a Do-nut van! Tomorrow start work on a new house that will have every conceivable modern gadget installed in every room. Even has a helicopter in the 5 car garage that is bigger than my house.

I've done a couple of little jobs "independently" which, tbh, if I can get £40 a week minimum, with my new enterprise bungs, means I'll not be worse off.

So. To sum up. Happy as a shig in pit at the mo!

well done for not going into IT !!

Sponsored Links
Back