ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Sponsored Links
eggplant said:
Bring back alphabet spaghetti, I say. Can't go wrong.

It's been banned because it contains the letters WGO and they sometimes fall in the wrong order

Well unbelievable as that sounds to me, I imagine its true, and no doubt someone somewhere will either have lost a lot of mony, or made a lot, either way, it is totally ridiculous, you can walk round with f**k rearanged on a tshirt but cant have things that could MAYBE, possibly, on the off chance, if placed incorrectly offend someone. I saw a golly *** the other day and said to the mrs "I thought they were banned" aparantly they are now called golly dollys, I really dont see the problem with the original name.

Apologies in advance if my irony monitor is down, but of course Alphabet Spaghetti isn't banned. If you believe that it is, then that is just one more example of what was being talked about in a different thread, where people are too ready to believe the patently ridiculous.

And, as you've proved, many people will happily tell you that Gollies are banned these days, but they aren't either. They may be less popular than in the past, but the idea of banning is another 'PC gone mad' urban myth.

Back to spelling, in the old days you will have been reciting something like 'Ay is for Apple' and it is the 'Apple' bit that tells you the sound and helps you learn to read. The 'Ay' sound is superfluous to learning to read and is saved for about a year later but don't worry, they learn it all in the end. Literacy teaching for Infants is actually going through a good patch at the moment.

johnny_t said:
but of course Alphabet Spaghetti isn't banned. .

No, but on the back of the can there is a list of words that you are not allowed to use the spaghetti to spell.

hermes said:
johnny_t said:

No, but on the back of the can there is a list of words that you are not allowed to use the spaghetti to spell.

Actually, they just provide some spaghetti asterisks so that you can do your own auto-censoring.

Sponsored Links
yes, and there is a number to report to a Heinz moderator if people try to get around the censorship.

When I were a lass way back in the ..... well a long time ago anyway, the new teaching aid at the time was ITA or Infant Teaching Alphabet. Phrases such as "I like my cat" would become "I liek mi kat" with the ie joined together as a new double letter.

Then when we had got to grips with all that nonsense, we had to learn the real alphabet and proper spelling. Fortunately I don't think it did me any harm, but many struggled and became very confused with the right and wrong way to spell words.

The Government has already realised it made a mistake a few years ago with insisting that spelling didn't matter. Now we have a whole generation of kids who can't spell basic words to save their lives.

tigger said:
When I were a lass way back in the ..... well a long time ago anyway, the new teaching aid at the time was ITA or Infant Teaching Alphabet. Phrases such as "I like my cat" would become "I liek mi kat" with the ie joined together as a new double letter.

Then when we had got to grips with all that nonsense, we had to learn the real alphabet and proper spelling. Fortunately I don't think it did me any harm, but many struggled and became very confused with the right and wrong way to spell words.

The Government has already realised it made a mistake a few years ago with insisting that spelling didn't matter. Now we have a whole generation of kids who can't spell basic words to save their lives.

You mean "...lievs..", surely ;)

joe-90 said:
It's just occured to me in a flash of inspiration that the word Alphbet comes from Alpha- Beta or A and B.

That took you a while then. I realised this when I was about 4 years old. And I could spell 'alphabet'. *sighs*

johnny_t said:
hermes said:
johnny_t said:

Actually, they just provide some spaghetti asterisks so that you can do your own auto-censoring.

Mod 3, Sorry not acceptable, picture deleted

oh, cute :rolleyes:

question (from the other side of the pond)....when it comes to pronunciation...is it the 'proper' way or the 'normal' way.....take the word .....

"why" for example....i was looking for a song based on the way that it sounded (spoken)...oh by a geordie -like personage....looked to way, wey, couldnt find it anywhere.....finally looked for it another way....but in this particular situation...it is pronounced way.....but normally it would be pronounced why....with a long 'I' (joke in there somewhere)....dunno maybe this is slang....most of the way yall talk sounds like slang to me (i like listening tho) :LOL: ......anyway....??

My children started school in the mid-eighties and I could not believe that the alphabet was no longer taught in the way it was when I was their age so I went to the school to find out why. I have never been so humiliated in my life! Even the teacher didn't Know how some letters sounded! :evil:

hairyjon said:
My children started school in the mid-eighties and I could not believe that the alphabet was no longer taught in the way it was when I was their age so I went to the school to find out why. I have never been so humiliated in my life! Even the teacher didn't Know how some letters sounded! :evil:

How were you humiliated?

notb665 said:
hairyjon said:

How were you humiliated?
Hi Noth665 Sorry for delay in replying.
I was humiliated because of the way she answered my questions. This suggested that she knew all there was to know about education and that I didn't have a clue! This may be! But she couldn't spell or use grammar correctly! :( :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back