Abestos during Velux installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We currently have some roofers in to re-do our roof and install some velux windows. The house is victorian and was converted to two flats in the 70s/80s. The veluxes are being installed in loft rooms on the upper floor. Yesterday the roofers cut the two holes in the roof to install for the veluxes and it looks like someone in the past had put some insulation in those rooms by adding an additional layer of plasterboard; I've no idea when that was done.

I'm a bit worried that given the age of the property there is the possibility of asbestos. In particular it looks like there's a layer of textured wallpaper underneath the plasterboard that was added to the ceiling and I worry that might be artex. I also don't know what kind of material the added insulation is.

I did ask the roofers if they had seen any evidence of asbestos and they said they hadn't, but I also don't think it's something they looked out for specifically and as far as I know nothing has been tested.

The other aspect is that one of the veluxes is in our bedroom, and everything has already been covered in dust from creating the hole. We then slept in the room last night, so even if it was asbestos, I'm kinda thinking is there anything we can even do at this point.

Have attached some images, thanks.

Attachments

• PXL_20230729_085221469 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20230729_085221469 - Copy.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20230729_085330588 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20230729_085330588 - Copy.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20230729_085232561 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20230729_085232561 - Copy.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20230729_085354375 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20230729_085354375 - Copy.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
Can't see anything there that looks like asbestos. Just looks like plasterboard.

Can't see anything there that looks like asbestos. Just looks like plasterboard.
Thanks for having a look. What do you think about that textured material that would have been on the old ceiling before the fake ceiling was added? You can see some of it in the 2nd and 4th picture, the white textured stuff

Looks like compressed fibreglass loft roll. Hopefully that's not all the insulation you have in the roof?

Sponsored Links
Looks like compressed fibreglass loft roll. Hopefully that's not all the insulation you have in the roof?
It was originally all the insulation that there was, but as part of the re-do of the roof celotex boards are being added between the rafters and any other gaps are having soft insulation put in.

The internal insulation and additional plasterboard were only discovered when they cut the hole for the velux.

Did you have any thoughts about the white textured material that would have formed the old ceiling prior to the false ceiling being added? If it was artex, how much risk has cutting through it created? And is there even anything further we can do at this point to limit potential exposure given that the velux will be put in and it'll be sealed up again?

No idea, clean up, seal up and forget about it.
If it keeps you awake at night, you could send a sample off to be tested, for peace of mind (or not!)

You can get a testing kit on Amazon.

Looks very much like plasterboard and fiberglass

If the old stuff is still about, have a look on the underside it may still have the writing on it (something like British Gypsum)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back