Help with loft rooms heat loss calculation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had an L shaped loft conversion done. Builder did not follow the architects instructions for insulation, so now I don’t know what my heat loss is. We have had UFH installed and need to determine if we go for tog 0.5 or 0.8 underlay. I’ve asked the supplier and they say to answer that, they need to know my approximate heat loss. We’d like the King 0.8, but don’t want to risk poor performance. So I’m really hoping someone might be able help?

We have two rooms.
Room 1: 6m x 4m Pitched roof with mansard flat roof section. Two MK06 Velux and one 2m x 2m french doors with side panels.
Room 2: 4m x 3m flat roof. Two sash windows.

Our house walls are two bricks thick, no cavity. The insulation is between wall battens and Roof rafters, with 400 centres for floors and ceiling. We have no insulated plasterboard and both rooms are cold roofs.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you just assume the greatest heat loss and select the better performing product?

Why don't you just assume the greatest heat loss and select the better performing product?
If I cannot prove that Tredaire King 0.8 tog is OK, then I will have to play it safe with the Ball & Young Olympic 0.5. But the samples of King, that we have, are considerably higher comfort levels the Olympic5.

We used between joists spreader plates with gifafloor. So we are in slightly better position than that if we had chipboard (0.6 tog v 1.4 tog). We had to do this to get combined underlay + carpet under equivalent of 2.0 tog. In theory 0.8 should be ok, but I’m just a little paranoid, unless I can show the figures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back