How many Veluxes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon! I'm currently drawing up draft plans for the conversion of a stone & block built shed adjoining our house. We're re-opening a door between the house and the shed (when we find it!) and are going to be having exclusively Velux windows in the living room section so we don't overlook / are overlooked by our neighbours.

The side of the roof we're planning to put the Veluxes in is south facing so plenty of light but, as these will be the only windows in the room I'm curious as to how many we should have, hopefully you can help?

The room will be 18' x 12'6" and the Velux windows we are wanting are 134cm x 140cm (W x H). We had thought about two, quite low down in the roof with light-tunnels through the loft area into the living room. Do you think two will be enough?

Also, there will also be a study of 9'7" x 7'6" which will have a further south-facing Velux (same size as above) and a west-facing tilt & turn window which will be obscured glass for privacy. Obviously, this room will be very light!

The remaining 9'7" x 5' will be taken up by an externally accessed store room as we need somewhere to keep bikes etc and to give loft access.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance, David [/u]

Sponsored Links
I'd say three would be about right. However many you end up with I would recommend two of them be Integra electric ones.

Hi Jeds,

Thanks for your comments, we are planning to get all three electrical, the solar powered integra - I think they're the GGU range for the white finish?

We're planning on having two in the living room and a third in the adjoining study - I'm just thinking that the living room may be a little dark if we have two? I've never planned anything bigger than a kitchen to date! So you don't think two 134 x 140 Veluxes would be too little for a 18' x 12'6" room?

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
You need about 15% of the floor area for light. Remember that is glazed area which is less than the overall size of the window. You are a bit short of that so I'd probably go for three in the one room. Those U08 windows are huge monsters though. (You might need a crane to get them in position) Maybe consider three S08s instead which would give you more room to space them out and would be about the right amount of light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back