abit concerned about mortar...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we had a wall removed and a pillar put in - the pillar supports the landing at the top of the stairs (not shown on my sketch), the wall was a non supporting wall, no wall above, it used to be the old pantry from the kitchen, but by getting rid of it, our lounge is bigger.

The doorway which used to be pantry door from the kitchen was blocked up. This is next to the existing kitchen doorway and above the 2 doors is a large approx 6-8"x6-8" concrete lintel. This is an main wall as the kitchen is built single storey onto the back of the house.

View media item 28447
The concern I have is the mortar in the blocks blocking up the doorway. The builder has 50+ years of experience so I don't want to call him and question his integrity before getting my facts right so would appreciate advice on here.
Concrete blocks were used and I think I remember him saying a 5:1 mix. While he was working I stole a trowel full of mix to fill in a hole elsewhere and that has set rock hard. However the mortar in the blocks is slightly sandy in 80% of places, I can scratch it out with my fingernail. It's not easy, it takes strong nails, the wall feels solid enough. I can scratch deeper with a screwdriver, however in some places, like around the outer where it meets the existing wall it's rock hard.
The mortar also looks very light coloured yet it looked black when he first did it. It's been done approx 4-5 weeks.

The same builder did some other work for me the following week out the front of the house, (outside wall) and that mortar is grey and solid as rock!
I'm confused why the bit I stole to fill in a hole set hard yet the same cement he used for the blocks feels sandy.

Should I be concerned? Should I call him? It's embarrassing if I call him and he says "That's fine, your house won't fall down".

Is the mortar still strong enough? I have a feeling it's probably that the blocks have obsorbed too much moisture from the cement before it completely cured so it's not set as hard as it should, or maybe I'm wrong and this is the way it's supposed to be on concrete blocks?

Appreciate any advice, I'm always prepared to listen and learn before questioning someone who's an expert!
I learnt plastering by listening to advice and reading on here :)

**edit: it's a 1946 house well built**

Sponsored Links
Internal mortar appears sandy because it is not tooled smooth as it would be externally (which makes the face hard)

It also dries a bit faster adding to a lighter shade and "sandiness"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back