about to get a new heating system - what am I missing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm on my first house renovation and have had a few problems so far with tradesmen I've hired - basically because I've been unprepared! So wanted to ask for a bit of advice from the experts so that I can anticipate and avoid issues with the next bit.

I'm getting a gas safe heating engineer in to run the pipes ahead of fitting my house with ten new compact double panel Delonghi rads this week. (the plasterer is coming in before the second fix)

I have concrete floors, so the pipes will have to run from ceilings to floor down the corners of the rooms in two places (I'm choosing to leave them exposed copper as I like how it looks), and in another, be channeled through a solid wall to run along the wall.

I think it is all fairly straightforward - I've got the TRVs, I know exactly where I want all the rads to go, they are all the right BTU, according to rad calcs anyway. None of them will impede doors etc. I have a decent new combi boiler. I think my heating engineer is good - but then I've thought that about everyone I've employed and not always been right!

So my question is - what have I forgotten? Is there anything I'm missing that could go wrong? Do I need to specify anything else to my plumber other than exactly where I want them to be?

Thanks very much for your help!

Sponsored Links
Rad calcs are the minimum req to get rooms up to temp in an hour if you want rooms hot quicker increase the size.
The quicker a house gets hot the quicker your boiler goes off

You will need to power flush the system when the work is done, to get rid of the flux and installation debris (copper filings and bits of lead) before it causes problems or create sludge.

Sponsored Links
No you wont . It will need to be flushed which is different .
Would love to know why this mob think powerflushing stops sludge ?

You will need to power flush the system when the work is done, to get rid of the flux and installation debris (copper filings and bits of lead) before it causes problems or create sludge.

:rolleyes:

Only if you want to keep this 'poster' in SLKs.

Competent installers will hot flush the system, using the boiler's own heat and pump, probably with a litre of system cleaner added as well.

The heating system should be flushed before it is connected to the boiler. You don't want to flush muck into a nice new boiler, now, do you?

What are you missing? - weather compensation. It is the best way to keep the boiler condensing and therefore as economical as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back