Planning to add a new radiator to system - pitfalls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm planning to add a new radiator to my central heating system. This is the first time I've done something like this, so I wanted to outline my plan, and ask if there any obvious pitfalls I've missed and should be aware of?

I'm in a 1930's terrace and when the previous owner made the front living room and entrance hall "open plan" the only radiator he put in was right next to the front door in the hallway, on the party wall. This means most of the heat disappears up the stairs and the living room is freezing!

The C/H is a combi boiler and luckily the drain point for the system is on the current radiator in the hall so that should be straightforward. I've measured the room and am going to get a rad with a bit more BTU/hr than what the calcs say the room needs.

I've taken up some floorboards and found the feed and return pipes (15mm copper) by the current radiator in the hall. I'm planning to put T pieces into both these pipes and send the new 15mm copper pipes over into the living room and then do 90 degree turn to hit the ends of the new rad which will be under the living room front window.

I've decided to use those fittings with a ring of solder inside each end to made my life easier. I know to make sure that the old pipes are 100% dry before soldering. I'm going to run the new pipes under the joists and attach them where required.

The only question in my mind is - does it matter if I run the new pipes straight across into the middle of the living room, and then turn at 90 degrees towards the rad, or would it be "better"(not sure why) to try and run the new pipes so that they are closer to the wall?

Any other really obvious pitfalls I should be aware of?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Run the pipes whichever way is easiest. As they're going to be under the joists, they're pretty safe from stray nails and screws. You could add some insulation to the pipes under floor, so as much heat goes into house and not underneath it.

Do some calculations for the heat needed for that room. However, this will only be a guide, as heat escaping upstairs will be a problem. I would significantly increase the recommended rad outputs to take this into account. You can always control this with room stat or TRVs. Oversized rad(s) can be turned down - undersized rad(s) leave no room for adjustment upwards.

http://www.homesupply.co.uk/radiator_output_calculator.php

I would significantly increase the recommended rad outputs to take this into account. You can always control this with room stat or TRVs. Oversized rad(s) can be turned down - undersized rad(s) leave no room for adjustment upwards.

http://www.homesupply.co.uk/radiator_output_calculator.php[/QUOTE]

Yeah I thought bigger would be better! Those calcs come out at 3761 BTU for the room and I'm looking at a 6500 BTU rad, so I assume that would be enough extra?

All other rads in house have TRVs so definitely going to add one to this rad too.

Do you have a room stat? If yes, and it is in the hall/front living room area, then best not to use TRV(s). Control the heating in this area with the stat.

Sponsored Links
Would be worth considering, especially if this is your main sitting area. A good room stat (can be wireless if wired is difficult) will not only give more accurate control for the area, but save on fuel costs.

You could do it with TRVs, but having a room stat is the only thing that will switch the boiler off when up to temp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back