About to knock down wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning taking down a stud wall between my bathroom and lounge which will be replaced by longer stud wall with an area to fit a shower within the bathroom.

I have taken the plasterboard off the wall already and it is simply a timber stud wall with no re-enforcments as within it. The wall is approx 1m across and spans aprox. 1/3 of the way across the width of the property. I have inspected the space above the wall and the is a joist running parallel with the wall and the top plate is fastened to this but with the plasterboard between the two.

I am 99% sure that this was is not load-bearing but I thought i might ask you guys for your opinion just to make sure. My thoughts are that a builder is unlikely to sandwich plasterboard between the top plate and the joist if this is load bearing? The joist is running parallel to the wall alothough I know this doesn't definately make it non-load bearing. The fact that the wall only seems to span a third of the room also suggests to me that it is not loadbearing. My last thought is that the wall is in my first floor victiorian conversion flat which was built in 1893. I'm assuming that all loadbearing walls would have been solid back in those days and I can't see any sign of a solid wall having been taken out at any point. I will try and upload some pictures incase that makes it clear to any of you.

Ok, these pictures show the top of the wall and how it is fastend to the joist. You can see the layer of plasterboard between the two.

IMG_4846.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

Sponsored Links
whookam said:
I am 99% sure that this was is not load-bearing but I thought i might ask you guys for your opinion just to make sure. My thoughts are that a builder is unlikely to sandwich plasterboard between the top plate and the joist if this is load bearing? The joist is running parallel to the wall alothough I know this doesn't definately make it non-load bearing. The fact that the wall only seems to span a third of the room also suggests to me that it is not loadbearing.
You've just answered your own question ;)
I'm planning taking down a stud wall between my bathroom and lounge which will be replaced by longer stud wall with an area to fit a shower within the bathroom.
If you're tiling the showering area then it's should be tanked in some way, do a search here, been covered before ;)

I am planning nail Hardiboard to the studwork and tank the lot with the Bal WP1 Tanking kit. Sound about right?

whookam said:
I am planning nail Hardiboard to the studwork
I take it that's a spelling error as I haven't heard of it, do you mean hardboard?

Bal WP1 Tanking kit is the way to go ;)

My opinion, I prefer wall shower panel which is a finish without the need of tiling and easy to clean etc.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back