About to paint front door - quick query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5C6CA303-1011-45C2-8DF0-261556BE76DD.jpeg

I have cleaned and keyed the metal front door and surrounding wooden frame, ready for masking and priming.

My father in law has just given it a final rub over, I believe he used IPA (not the beer, Isopropyl alcohol) instead of meths - will this be a problem?

Also, I’m priming it with Zinsser Bullseye 123 before going over with dulux weathershield (in Dove Slate) - will it be a problem if I leave the primer on overnight and do the dulux tomorrow?

Ta

Sponsored Links
IA instead of MS? Not a problem. Neither are oily AFAIK. Sounds prepped to me! Not sure about the delay between coats part!

I often use isopropyl alcohol. I prefer it to meths. It doesn't leave any residue and evaporates faster. It is also cheaper.

No problem leaving the Zinsser till the day after. Better give two coats of gloss, thinned. Couple of days apart. At this time of year you only have a four hour window to gloss. After 10 am in morning and no later than about 2.30 ish in the afternoon as the dew will start to fall.

Sponsored Links
Use frog tape around the glass, I didn't and it pulled some of the paint off, when I removed it.

Managed to get the first coat of top coat on today, started about 10.30am. Was probably a bit cold (~5C) but by 12ish it was 9C.

Was dry enough to put the metalwork back on by about 3ish, but will definitely need a light rub down and another coat (will probs be Saturday at the earliest now).

The Dulux Weathershield Satin is quite thick when brushing it on, not that nice to work with. Can it be thinned slightly or am I best not to for the 2nd coat?

B03F047D-AA5F-4835-AC7D-AB5457804D37.jpeg AC34BEC4-0F11-42AF-A4C4-AADA1F73B4C9.jpeg EDCACDD7-09D0-4382-9A1A-F9657A395CCD.jpeg

Use frog tape around the glass, I didn't and it pulled some of the paint off, when I removed it.

Did you let the paint dry before removing it? I usually take it off when still wet, and reapply if doing another coat.

But yes, used green frog tape.

You can thin the satin weathershield with a little water, floetrol would be better but it ain't cheap and you will need to buy much more than you need. You will probably find that the second coat of satin will flow better than the first. You can still thin it though.

I have no idea what the minimum temperature that it can be applied in is though. It is part of the Dulux Retail range so they don't deign to make the info readily accessible on their site...

https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/products/paint-mixing-weathershield-quick-dry-exterior-satin

Perhaps you can turn the heating up, leave the door open so that the surface temperature increases and leave the tin just above a radiator so that it becomes more viscous.

Airflow (eg a fan) will help the curing process. Waterbased paints work by letting the water evaporate and the remaining molecules coalesce (knit together). In cold weather they are far less forgiving than OB paints.

Good luck

I personally wouldn't thin it. If it seems a little thick, stand the tin in some hot water for half an hour, this will make it flow easier without thinning it or destroying its covering properties.

This was a black Upvc front door. Had a grey undercoat and two coats of Valspar Water based Gloss.

Attachments

• front door.JPG
    front door.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 125

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back