Accenta G3 Alarm - How to switch OFF?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any helpful experts out there who know about the Accenta G3 alarm?

Mine's about 8 years old. It's not armed but the power supply is on, so there's a visual warning outside of the flashing light. Problem is, every time there's a power cut (which happens a bit too often round here) the alarm goes off. I can stop it and re-set it, but I'd prefer to power off the alarm completely if I'm not using it.

Here's the problem - if I switch off the power supply (at the fuse box) the alarm still rings, presumably off the battery. So how do I completely switch off the alarm? I can't see anything in the instruction manual about this. Or do I simply have to let it run until the battery dies - which could be days!!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
OK thanks. Just seems a bit odd that there's no way to fully turn the system off from the control panel - without either the alarm going off or, as you're saying, removing the batteries.

Alternatively fit a new 2.1Ah battery in the control panel, that way if you have a power cut the system will run on battery back, your better off having a working intruder system in this day and age

The siren is independent of the G3, so that in the event of an attack (cut the power/smash the alarm off the wall) the siren will still work, but I agree with you, it would be nice if there was some way to tell the siren that you were doing planned maintenance, and then it wouldn't go off when you took the cover off.

There should be a fused supply to the alarm, so if you take out the fuse, then the alarm won't work, and you either warn the neighbours, and wait till the alarm battery dies before you go up there, or as Bernard suggests, get some earplugs and then deal with it, but the best suggestion is to fit a new battery, and maintain the alarm, if only to reduce your insurance premiums. If you've told the insurance ompany about it, and you the get burgled after you stop using it, you may find any claim you make is reduced.

Thanks to bernardgreen, Doggit and M1Chanical for helpful replies.

Still can't understand why the manufacturer don't provide a function for the owner to power-off the alarm completely at the control panel.

In my road we're having intermittent power cuts - e.g. for just 5 minutes at nearly midnight last night. The electricity board are trying to fix the problem. Every time this happens the 5 flats on the ground floor have their alarms go off. Some are armed, most are not.

So as soon as the power-cut happens, I suppose the batteries kick in and sound the sirens, even for the un-armed alarms. Eventually (10 minutes?) they do go silent. And when the power comes back they can be reset.

Nightmare!!!

It's more than likely, that the other alarms also need new batteries in the alarm panels (the ones in the sirens are okay). With a good backup battery, you can have a power cut, and that battery kicks in and keeps the system active - so no alarm going off.

Might be worth having a chat with them; I'm sure everyone will appreciate a quick fix, and a good nights sleep.

Thanks to bernardgreen, Doggit and M1Chanical for helpful replies.

Still can't understand why the manufacturer don't provide a function for the owner to power-off the alarm completely at the control panel.

In my road we're having intermittent power cuts - e.g. for just 5 minutes at nearly midnight last night. The electricity board are trying to fix the problem. Every time this happens the 5 flats on the ground floor have their alarms go off. Some are armed, most are not.

So as soon as the power-cut happens, I suppose the batteries kick in and sound the sirens, even for the un-armed alarms. Eventually (10 minutes?) they do go silent. And when the power comes back they can be reset.

Nightmare!!!

If an alarm system was easy enough for the homeowner to disable, a criminal would also be able to do the same. I know it's a nuisance sometimes, but they're designed to be difficult to disconnect. A properly installed and maintained alarm system should not sound during a power cut, wether or not the system is armed. I suspect the reason they are sounding during the power cuts is because they've never been maintained and the panel backup battery is knackered. They should be serviced or (as you are doing) decommissioned to prevent nuisance activations during power cuts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back