Acceptable Finish - Professional Decorator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Just want to see if I'm being overtly picky or if this is an acceptable finish by a professional decorator. I feel the level of prep was definitely not enough and there's excess paint and large amount of stipple on the overall finish. There are large parts that are great, but parts that are not.

Attachments

• IMG_0350.jpeg
    IMG_0350.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0356.jpeg
    IMG_0356.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0357.jpeg
    IMG_0357.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0358.jpeg
    IMG_0358.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
Just been down after the decorator has left, and we're at an impasse now after their reaction this morning...

The below photos are after it's gone back over (LickPro White 01 paint). Does anyone have any help in terms of how I can rectify the roller marks myself? It looks like they've loaded it with too much paint in the first picture but I don't know...

The second picture is pretty horrendous by the socket, which it looks like some paint hasn't actually adhered properly?

Not sure what i can do with the 3rd either

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpeg
    IMG_0362.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0363.jpeg
    IMG_0363.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0364.jpeg
    IMG_0364.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 70
I am not a professional decorator - keen DIYer and a bit of a perfectionist (not always ideal at times!), so won’t opine on your direct question. That being said I wouldn’t be happy with some of the examples you’ve highlighted here if I had done this - I’d be immediately looking to correct the blemishes you’ve attached.

One question to play devil’s advocate - what condition was the wall in originally? I’m assuming (by the sound of it), that the wall was not bare plaster. Is it possible that the wall had most of these imperfections already? If so, I guess it may depend on exactly what you’ve been quoted (and paid) to have done - i.e. Was this just a re-paint, or a full prep and decoration?

Have a word with the decorator and point out the problems.
Give them chance to rectify

Sponsored Links
Have a word with the decorator and point out the problems.
Give them chance to rectify
I did this morning, this is after the initial issues were pointed out. They've wiped their hands of it now so it's onto me to sort or find someone to sort

I am not a professional decorator - keen DIYer and a bit of a perfectionist (not always ideal at times!), so won’t opine on your direct question. That being said I wouldn’t be happy with some of the examples you’ve highlighted here if I had done this - I’d be immediately looking to correct the blemishes you’ve attached.

One question to play devil’s advocate - what condition was the wall in originally? I’m assuming (by the sound of it), that the wall was not bare plaster. Is it possible that the wall had most of these imperfections already? If so, I guess it may depend on exactly what you’ve been quoted (and paid) to have done - i.e. Was this just a re-paint, or a full prep and decoration?
The wall was indeed bare plaster after a reskim. I had a few issues with the skim coat but kept the decorator up to date at all avenues, asked him to look at the job again before starting, made it completely clear it was a full prep and decoration too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back