Following decorating - A few areas to patch and repaint - best course of action?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've decorated 4 rooms this past year and have noticed there are a few areas that need a bit of TLC. Obviously it would have been easier if we'd have noticed before we'd painted, but we didn't.

There's a few bumps from moving things after decorating, as well as areas where the paint/plaster finish is a bit bobbly and not level. One area is where there's an almost floor to ceiling hairline crack that revealed itself a few months after being plastered. We rather badly gouged along the crack, filled it with flexible filler (Toupret) and then attempted to level it with the rest of the wall with a coat of Easi Fill and some sanding - the worst part was the sanding leaving it bobbly and sticks out like a sore thumb - especially with artificial light! It was done by hand rather than with a flat hand sander.

I was thinking of hand sanding with 180grit sandpaper these areas, apply some Toupret interior filler where needed, sand, paint. Does this sound like a decent thing to do?

Will I need to paint using a roller, or would a brush suffice as they are largely small areas?

Sponsored Links
Your plan sounds fine but due to the time that has passed etc, be prepared to repaint entire walls rather than just the patches. As they can often show up otherwise, even if you use the same paint. If it was previously painted with a roller, use a roller for the patches too

If the Toupret "flex and fill" was a tad proud, you would benefit from sanding it with a random orbital sander first.

Given that it shrinks back, I try to ensure that it is slightly below the surface.

I suspect that using Easifill means that when you sanded, because the Easifill is so soft, the sandpaper just sanded the Easifill and not the proud bits of "flex and fill".

With the above, I think you need to sand away the easifill. If you coat over it with regular Toupret, when you sand that, the edges of the easifill will rip the regular Toupret away (unless you use a really wide filling knife).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back