access after tiling a bath panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like my new bath to have the side and end panel tiled.
how is this done, taking into account the need to gain access under the bath for leaks in future.

Thanx for any advise in advance

Sponsored Links
try screwing on the panels using 4 (or 6 for the long edge) screws that will accept a cap on them (say a chrome one?? depending on the colour of the tiles?? like this http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/63/p1577163_m.jpg )

Or you could always try and assemble some kind of "drop and slot" arrangement, where the panel gets pushed up under the lip of the bath and the drops into position and is held in place by a U arrangement of wood at the floor level - to remove the panle you simpley apply "up" pressure and then pull it towards you.

*worth a punt*

Planning to do the same myself. Assuming your taps and waste are at the bath end that you'd like to tile (as is the case with mine), I would do the following:

Build a timber frame for the long side of the bath, recessed in from the edge of the bath itself. Fix 3mm or 5.5mm plywood to the timber frame. I'm planning to use screws, as I may have to glue some of my timber frame together, rather than nailing it. The recessing of your timber frame should allow for the thickness of your plywood, tile adhesive and tiles. For this reason, I've gone for 3mm ply, as it gives me more to play with when recessing the timber frame.

For the end panel, again build a timber frame. Make sure you don't put any of the upright batons in the way of the water pipes/waste, so that you can get in to service them if necessary. I'm actually planning to have no uprights on the end panel (with the exception of the edges, of course). Measure the size of the end panel, allowing for a little bit of plywood to be hidden behind the edge of the bath.

You can now tile both panels - the side panel in situ on the bath, and the end panel independently. Be careful with the tiling to ensuring that you get the tiles on the side and end panels to match up when you fix the end panel! You might also want to ensure that the tiles on the side and end panels match the tiles on the wall.

Once you've tiled and grouted the side and end panels (you may want to use tile edging on either the end or side panel), drill holes through the tiles in the end panel and offer it up to the timber frame. You can then spot the timber frame and fix the end panel with screws to the batons. To hide the screws, use screws covers - I'm using white ones as my tiles are white.

When you're done, fill the (small!) gaps with silicone sealant. If you ever need to remove the end panel, you'll only need to replace the sealant.

That's my plan - happy to get any tips from others who have already done this.

Rich W

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back