Access control for home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Does anyone have some knowledge of access control.
I found a company up north that sell a zk software m300 and it's 600 plus vat
I have found the same reader in SA for 200 and chine for £120
The finger print reader has the controller built in and is controlled from the computer.
I would set this up with a new Yale lock with electric strike plate and run it off a ups.
My question is anyone else got any experience with a biometric reader all in one solution?
Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
From the look of some of the ZK kit you can knock that off the wall and the lock could be energised. As with a lot of the stuff ATM.

Also a biometric reader in the cold is a bit temperamental , or a very cold finger. Failure rate is high with some too ( Reading, as many cannot get to use it properly, and or scan rates are too slow)
Fitted a few with some German readers and not too impressed.
But at least the controller was inside the protected area.
The tech isnt ready for domestic yet IMHO.

Card or prox is still the better bet, can still be run on a UPS and even contactless.
But you have to use the best strikes possible or a strong wind will blow the door in and they are over £300.00 each :D
Or go for magnetic locks.

Hi there
Thanks as always for your reply Alarm.
This reader shows its rated from -10, the unit would sit within a porch area without doors which would reduce the elements.
the unit also has tamper which i could add to my home alarm as a zone.
mag locks would not feel rigtt on my front door i prefer normally closed strike plate if anything.
where are these expensive strike plates ?

all idea's at the moment....

I was in a city electrical the other week and they had a fortessa biometric door handle in there.

Here is one on a website

http://www.greenleisure.net/detail1.cfm?subject=product&codeID=41993&pagetype=detail&site=GL&dom=N

I googled it once I got home as it was only £100 (to clear) in there but from searches online there is very little info even on the manufacturers/distributors site. But I liked the fact it was all in one and didnt need a latch release etc. but not enough to buy one.

not really a recommendation or useful post but thought I would share and it negated the use for strike plates.

Sponsored Links
Keep away from the biometric - as advised above.
Really is more trouble than it's worth.

Also, if these are your external doors - whatever you fit needs to be fail secure (from the outside).

Just to add, nothing with biometrics satisfies your insurance policy to this date.

Finger print access is not reliable at opening doors. It is reliable at NOT opening doors. It is intended to prevent anyone getting into a room where only authorised people are allowed. That is different from the front door of a house. In the office if one person's finger fails to open the door another authorised person or a manager's over ride key can be used. Or the door doesn't get opened and work is delayed. Arriving home and finding the finger print will not open the door is a different matter, there may be no one else with a finger that can be used so getting indoors will be delayed.

At my old house i was was sick of getting knocked up out of bed when the sister got locked out as she did not take her key. So i fitted a rim combi. It just relaces the cylinder with mechanical push button lock & the battery pack sits inside the door above the lock or it can be recessed inside the door. Does the job & looks smart see the pdf link below

http://www.squirelocks.co.uk/pdfs/squire_rim_combi.pdf

You really wanted that "carp" on your door?
Oh well each to their own.
And its not that secure nor is it insurance approved.

I wish people would remember this when fitting such like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back