Videx access control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a videx access control system for some apartments that has been half installed. And as a favour to been asked to sort it out.
So if anyone could point me in the right direction with what to do it would be appreciated as the are no instructions with it.

Each apartment has a 2 comms cables going to a door entry phone (not wired up)(8 wires in each) these cables go to a communial point and are labelled up 1 or 2. (10 of these cables for 5 apartments)

There are also 8 more cables at this communial point which are not labelled up but i am presuming that these 8 cable go to the panel at the front door. The panel has a key pad and 5 push button points for the apartments.

There also seems to be no cable in place for the magetic lock for the front door, so would i need to add one of these to the panel. Also there does not seem to be any button on the inside to open the door either.

I think thats about all the info i have so far.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should be able to find all you need from this site

http://www.videx-security.com/support/downloads/

Also there does not seem to be any button on the inside to open the door either.

The door should have a mechanical way to open it. ( A handle in other words ). Relying on the electrically operated release to open the door would not be a good idea if there was a power cut or a fire.

you can have a push button to exit as long as you have a green break glass on the inside of the door near the push button in case of fire.

You have not said if you have a PSU to power the mag lock. the intercom system will not be powerful enough to keep it energised all the time, so it will have to be triggered by a relay. :D

you can have a push button to exit as long as you have a green break glass on the inside of the door near the push button in case of fire.

You have not said if you have a PSU to power the mag lock. the intercom system will not be powerful enough to keep it energised all the time, so it will have to be triggered by a relay. :D
Not strictly true. Depends on the purpose of door and type of user.
And sadly, on the numpty inspecting it if council/Fire authority involved.
A few of them are now insisting on compliance (whether relevant or not) on BS EN 1125 and BS EN 179. This can mean no GBU allowed on Exit door. It then has to be paddles/handles to remove power from lock. And if it not a maglock, well, the cost becomes eyewatering.

Sponsored Links
so are we now saying that if a door is to be secured and is designated as a fire exit and is also used as a entrance that it has to be a form of panic device? so a mag lock would not be suitable, depending on the inspecter.

Would then a von Durpin panic device then be suitable, if this is the case then you are right about being eye watering

so are we now saying that if a door is to be secured and is designated as a fire exit and is also used as a entrance that it has to be a form of panic device? so a mag lock would not be suitable, depending on the inspecter.

Would then a von Durpin panic device then be suitable, if this is the case then you are right about being eye watering

Without the full facts/details and seeing the doors etc it is difficult to be specific.
Have a look at the two Regs/Standards - plenty of info on google.

Locks on external doors are always a subject of debate.
Mag locks: do a job, but on external doors they are problematic and not too secure. Also a pain on outward opening doors - which fire/escape doors should be.

Lock strikes: More secure but major problems when it comes to escape/panic doors. They MUST be compliant to relevant standards. The key point is the side pressure. Normal lock strikes will fail to operate under load. Hence the requirement for specific - but expensive models.

Emergency release: Dependent on scenario, Inspector(if involved), a GBU may be ok, but what about rogue operation by local chavs? Who resets it?

Paddles/handles etc may be more suitable but can add to cost.
Ultimately, whilst trying to keep cost down, doing it right is what matters.

Stick an axe next to each door, you'll be OK then :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back