Access hatch on wall hung wc's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bough the wall hung wc frame from B&Q (made by Zaro - couldn't find exact model but this link shows virtually the same item: http://www.buyaparcel.com/pageview.php?page=show_product&ecommerce_stockcode=111.352.00.5)

My query is, is the only access hatch the hole for the flush plate? I want tiles behind the WC so won't be able to remove as you can with a screwed on wooded panel. The unit seems to only have access via this area and the instructions are quite vague so any help appreciated.

Thx

Sponsored Links
You're tiling into chipboard or whatever, yes? Cut a hole under one or more tiles around pipe joins or wherever you need access and silicone the tiles in rather than grouting them. Don't use adhesive behind the removable tiles either, and pack them off the board behind with a thin spacer if they appear sunken compared to those around them. If you need access cut the silicone with a stanley and it's easy to tidy them up and refit.

But what I was wondering was 'do' I actually need access to anywhere other than the flush plate hatch?? It looks like everything can be accessed from the hatch anyway.

Was gonna clad the frame with plasterboard... is chip board better then?

Access to any fitting is always desirable. What happens if it leaks? You don't want to tear the wall down. I can't see the unit as your link doesn't work.

Plaster board is fine, use a thick one so it doesn't flex any. And remember not to PVA it first or the tile adhesive won't dry.

Sponsored Links
Access to any fitting is always desirable. What happens if it leaks? You don't want to tear the wall down.

But that would mean you can't tile at all and only have a laminated MDF panel - cr@p!

Sorry - was presuming you meant make more of the wall behind it accessible? The only way to do that is to make it a removable panel, and therefore not able to tile it...?

I meant basically any fitting to a cistern.

I'm fitting a concealed cistern next week and I'll be putting in siliconed tiles for access to the flush pipe.

I found something which may be yours at diy.com, and it doesn't look like it has a screw/o-ring connection, is it permanently solvent welded? If so you'll have less to worry about with leaks developing anyway.

I bought a toilet from homebase and thought I had the same problem. However all of the serviceable components in the cistern can be replaced with the flush panel removed. I had the same concerns about my concealed pipework joints (because I had an IV and DCV for my outside tap above cistern) so I fitted a recessed cabinet above with access panel in the bottom of it to enable me to isolate outside tap and maintain compression joints.
If you do not want a cabinet could you not make this pipework out of one piece of copper with pulled bends?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back