Access to electric meter fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a block of flats where the electricity meters live in the basement. I have had a problem with my electricity supply and my supplier (NPower) have advised that they need to change the electricity meter.
They have so far been unable to, because they do not have the key to the fuse box underneath the meter (the "Rifield Cabinet"?).
They are trying to locate it with the engineers that they use (Lowry Beck) but have said that if they don't have it that I will need to contact the Local Council who may have the key.
They have been trying to blame me saying that I should have the key to this fuse box (Which says "Danger" on it!) and my flat's management agents also do not have it.
Firstly, who actually should have the key to the fuses for our electric meter?
Secondly, if they can't find the key, what should I/they do next to progress this?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
The services access should be the freeholder of the block.

Sounds like you rent, the leaseholder has assigned a managing agent and they haven't a clue.

You need to find out who the leasehold of the flat pays ground rent to. They are responsible for services in (and access) to such services.

Breaking the lock is criminal damage, and also a likely HS risk should the access remain. Ditto if you put a new lock on it an there's a service issue (and they can't get in) you will again be responsible.

Your managing agent needs to speak to there customer, they in turn will need to seek access via the people they pay ground rent to. If it's a part ex Council block (some sold on, some still owned by the Council) I'd imagine the council will have access. Again the leaseholder you rent from will have to make representation.

The key is the responsability of the DNO and they should hold it. More ofton than not, the padlocks are removed and not refitted and they seal the cabinet.

It is a throw back from the days when the DNO were the metering agent as well but now it is a free for all, everyone needs access to the cabinet.

You certainly will not have access to it.

Arguably, a tenant should have access to their own meter if only so they can read it and check on their usage. Why do tenants of flats get shut out when tenants or freeholders of a house can freely access what's under the stairs? I can get at my meter, service head, earth conenction, the whole lot - on that basis I think the H&S argument against tenants accessing the meter cupboard is a bit specious, though I must confess I've seen a lot of such meter cupboards that I wouldn't want to go into myself, let alone civilians!!!

PJ

Sponsored Links
Arguably, a tenant should have access to their own meter if only so they can read it and check on their usage. Why do tenants of flats get shut out when tenants or freeholders of a house can freely access what's under the stairs? I can get at my meter, service head, earth conenction, the whole lot - on that basis I think the H&S argument against tenants accessing the meter cupboard is a bit specious, though I must confess I've seen a lot of such meter cupboards that I wouldn't want to go into myself, let alone civilians!!!

PJ

What they cant get access to is a metal cabinet with the service fuses in. This is common in flats where the DNO will supply a large 3 phase supply which in turn supplys 3 banks of BS1361 or BS88 fuses.

Thank you for all your responses. To clarify - I CAN access the meters, but not the fuse box it's attached to. I have already spoken to the management agents who say the freeholder does not have the key.
The DNO sounds hopeful so maybe I'll have some luck with them.
Thanks again for all your help

I am surprised that the DNO's don't widely adopt keyed locks instead of seals on their main fuses - it means no more cut seals etc. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back