How to open electricity meter box without key.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! EDF are trying to up my monthly DD payments too much so I really must read the meter and prove them wrong. However I have lost that pesky little key. Have been able to open the gas meter box with pliers but not the electricity one. Any ideas? and where do you get replacement keys from anyway?
Sue

Sponsored Links
In an emergency, you can use pin-nosed pliers, but you risk damaging the spindle.

Sponsored Links
I think I got one of those 4 sided keys in our local asda not so long back.

You can buy them from the diy sheds (I bought one from B&Q not so long ago). I've since seen them in my local hardware shop as well, so they're pretty widely available.

If you have a socket-set then a 9mm or 11/32 socket fits exactly over the triangular spindle.

If you put a strip of coloured tape around the socket it will save having to try them all again in 3 months time! :idea:

Not much help as I know you want it open now but..

If you mention to your supplier you've not go one I'm sure they'll send you one for free.

I hand em out daily :D

They sell them in my local corner shop, so maybe try yours. They also sell cartridge fuses cheaper than I can get them at the wholesalers, though I think that ship will soon sail as they dont have many left and prices have gone up since they ordered them a decade of so ago!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back