Access to flat & water supply problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am new to this forum and would really appreciate some advice on this matter.

My brother owns an upstairs flat, access is gained via a metal staircase. Now landlord and freeholder [lease and service charges not collected for 20 years] and he has bought the lease though in breach as he ha snot issued any notice re ownership. Now reckons that the upstairs flat is illegal as there is only one entrance/exit. Has there been a change in building regs or was the flat converted illegally.

Secondly my brothers flat is empty at the minute, we switched off water supply and drained system. However downstairs flat has no central heating and tenant has been away a ot. SO the mains supply pipe burst under the bath in my brothers flat. Fire Brigade had to bend pipes as tennant who was there that night did not know how and where to switch off main supply.

Now landlord changes his mind between allowing us to reconnect supply, lag mains pipe in downstairs flat to upper and move stop tap further back to telling us that we must run pipe supply externally. Can he cut off water supply this way? If pipes are run externally even with lagging this could cause possible problems with burst pipes in future.

Sponsored Links
Take a look at the Water Supply Regulations 1999 which sets down the rules for water supplies into property.

Also contact your water supplier for advice as they have to regulate the supply and use of water in accordance with the above.

Hi All

I am new to this forum and would really appreciate some advice on this matter.

My brother owns an upstairs flat, access is gained via a metal staircase. **Now** landlord and freeholder [lease and service charges not collected for 20 years] and he has bought the lease though in breach as he ha snot issued any notice re ownership. Now reckons that the upstairs flat is illegal as there is only one entrance/exit. Has there been a change in building regs or was the flat converted illegally.

Secondly my brothers flat is empty at the minute, we switched off water supply and drained system. However downstairs flat has no central heating and tenant has been away a ot. SO the mains supply pipe burst under the bath in my brothers flat. Fire Brigade had to bend pipes as tennant who was there that night did not know how and where to switch off main supply.

Now landlord changes his mind between allowing us to reconnect supply, lag mains pipe in downstairs flat to upper and move stop tap further back to telling us that we must run pipe supply externally. Can he cut off water supply this way? If pipes are run externally even with lagging this could cause possible problems with burst pipes in future.
Do you mean NEW l/l and freeholder :?: ...Did you know that leaseholders can purchase the free hold of the properties they live in . @ a price set by court. In fact it`s a percentage of the number of flats in the block- and less than 50% . I`d get some legal advise ;) Allegedly. Without Prejudice.

New to both

Unfortunately due to the fact there are only two flats and the free holder owns one of them, you can not compulsory purchase the lease as you can not form over a 50% majority.

Sponsored Links
You can not force sale of freehold on two flats where the freeholder owns one. I was given this advice by a solicitor on another message board, which has been confirmed by the leaseholder advisory service. The latter has also advised how to get a copy of the original lease and they are now looking at it for us in regard to water and access rights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back