Access to neighbours land for building work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically I've got a concrete slab in the garden that runs right upto my neighbours border. It used to have a garage there, but the foundations have failed and my neighbour doesn't want me to rebuild it.

I need access to his land to remove the current foundations and build new ones - is there any right I can invoke? Under the party wall act I might be able to, but does a concrete slab 4 inches high count as a party wall?

Sponsored Links
I can't see why you need access to do this, other than it would be easier?

The ATNLA would not seem to apply for this type of work, and unless you build a new party wall, or party fence wall or otherwise invoke the PW Act, then that will be no use either

A concrete slab would not be relevant to the PW Act

Yeah - you're right. I could do it from my side, but it's harder and I'd need to board out etc on my side, so would lose about 3 inches. Doesn't sound like a lot, but I'd rather not lose it, plus I've got to dig out the existing foundation which will be a pig from my side only.

No personal knowledge, but has often been asked and the replies have always been

" there is a right of access for maintainance but no right of access to build. "

Sponsored Links
diyreg, you must download the PWA from HMSO or some other site.... and read it to be sure. However if you do serve notice under the PWA, if he/she refuses you still have the expense of suveyers etc. If I was you, I would nag, nag, nag him/her until they get sick of your nags and give in your wishes.

If I was you, I would nag, nag, nag him/her until they get sick of your nags and give in your wishes.

Is that meant to be serious ?

Please tell me how it works after i've told you to **** off, to get off my land and shut the door in your face ?

If I was you, I would nag, nag, nag him/her until they get sick of your nags and give in your wishes.

Is that meant to be serious ?

Please tell me how it works after i've told you to p**s off, to get off my land and shut the door in your face ?

Well maybe that is how you behave in France, shame on you. In the UK most neighbours do not behave in the way you describe.

If was in this situation I would just get on with it and step on thier ground a bit, the worst he/she can do is call the police and they will be sympathetic to your needs as long as you do not commit criminal damage.

Well maybe that is how you behave in France, shame on you. In the UK most neighbours do not behave in the way you describe.

No they don't.

But that's how i would behave to a selfish **** who refused to accept my decision and kept on and on like an immature child.

No personal knowledge, but has often been asked and the replies have always been

" there is a right of access for maintainance but no right of access to build. "

It's already got a concrete slab edging which I need to replace so this is presumably classed as build, not maintenance. Thanks guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back