Lowering level of the ground up to the neighbours wall (wall foundations)

UKG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Thanks for reading.

I'm in the process of planning a double garage build - 7m x 7m.

It will involve lowering the ground at the bottom of my garden by about 3 feet (at its highest). The bottom of the garden runs parallel to the neighbours wall and foundations (which must run onto my land).

On the opposite side is a fence.

The 7m x 7m foundations will not be leaving much room either side.

Can anyone advise on what will happen if I dig up to the neighbours wall foundations - will the wall fall down? Can I leave the foundations showing? Is there a way to retain it that wont take up too much space ? ( I need to leave a run way down the side of the garage!

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

The plan is attached.

Sponsored Links
The neighbours wall may not fall down but it is likely to become unstable. No you can't leave the foundations exposed.

The obvious question - how deep are the foundations for the existing structure?

PS - no plan attached!

Generally, the ground, and foundations will move sideways, so would need to be retained with a wall to the side and below

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, really helpful advice. I've decided to stay at least 800mm away from the wall. I'll only need to dig down 2 feet (along a short length of the wall (approx 5 - 6 feet) and will build a retainer wall on my side. The distance from teh wall will be between 800 (for a foot) and then extend away from the wall to 1.5 meters away.

Does this sound suitable. I really don't need to dig deep.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back