Access to Sub Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to this forum and have just bought a bungalow (with a loft conversion) in Edinburgh. It is built on volcanic (andesite) rock, and the floor is (I think "floating") on a sub-floor.

There is access to the sub floor under the stairs, but that access is only to one room. I want to be able to crawl throughout the sub-floor and install under-floor wiring for a stereo - I also want an electrician to do some additional wiring for an extension project.

I notice there are holes in the walls of the sub-floor room - is it permissible to enlarge those holes (removing a few more bricks) in order to gain access to the remainder of the house?

Sub floor is about 3 foot high, and the floor looks like a glassy substance containing rock chips.

Many thanks.

John

Sponsored Links
Yes, by and large its possible to knock-thro sub floor walls. Sometimes you have to install a crude lintel, other break-thro's only need to be a matter of removing enough bricks to crawl thro into the blocked off sub-floor area.

The "holes" you see are probably honey combed ventilation holes.

Prepare your tools and an inspection lamp before going down the hatch.

Thanks Ree. I used to be a caver, so it will be an adventure for me..! I guess if I remove each brick with a cold chisel I should be ok. Just enough room to squeeze through. There are bits of sawdust down there so I may take a vacuum cleaner...

Remove all wood & paper debris from the sub area.

Easy does it when removing any bricks.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Ree.

Ok - I managed to get into the sub-floor today, and spent an hour with a masonry drill and chisel before resorting to a demolition breaker I bought from Aldi (for another project). The sub-wall section I have removed has nothing loading it and gives me access to the RCD fusebox. The intention is to create a new spur on the RCD box for an external building. I will install the wires, then a qualified electrician can inspect and wire up both ends.

The remaining "breakthroughs" traverse the house and are supporting floor joists, so I will need to be cautious to ensure the floor joists are not left with nothing underneath them. I will install lintels underneath after I have broken through each wall (and keep my family away from the floor I am working under!).

Any advice on the type of lintel I should use? I have seen some 1.2m corregated ones from Wickes which may be suitable (I guess these should be able to distribute perhaps 20-30 Newtons minimum if they are taking footfall loading)? I assume I can just set these in with some ready-mix concrete.. (and keep footfall away, as each one sets!). There is also a DPM (bitumous) that I will replace with a modern plastic one. House is from the 60's...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back