Access to TV apps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We don't tend to upgrade if our appliances are still functioning.

But in the case of our smart DVD player and smart TV, both dating to around 2013/ 14, we are suffering diminished viewing choice, as we have lost some apps, like ITV Hub and My5. We have been warned others will drop off too.

We will eventually buy a replacement but in the meantime want a cheap plug-in unit to restore these lost services.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
My apologies, good people. I asked this question a short while back and completely forgot.

:oops:

Sponsored Links
We've been using a Google Chromecast for years, the better one that comes with a remote control...

This has BBC, ITV, Five and a few more. You can install the Amazon, Netflix or other apps if you want to pay a subscription (have tried both, decided not to bother). It doesn't have Channel 4 for some reason, but the great thing about this over most others is that if you have an android phone or tablet then you can cast pretty much any video app to it. I have Channel 4 on my phone, I get a little icon in the top corner, click on it and it takes over the TV. Utterly brilliant. Same goes for UKTV, Discovery and lots of others. I can even do the same with my own phone videos if I want.

The remote also controls the TV's power and volume. So you won't need the TV remote once it's set up (easy).

I got our Sony telly for free as someone was chucking it out as they wanted a "Smart" TV instead. Nice to profit from someone else's ignorance.

Back