Smart TV's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a 50inch Panasonic Plasma Smart TV.

Nice TV all seemed well untill I started playing with the internet connection.

Set up a home group so I can stream media from the laptop. Downloaded the smartphone app so I can stream from that too. All good stuff.

However, I cant believe that the Viera Connect does not have a web browser as the TV is a 2011 model. 2012 models do apparently.

It only has bbc iplayer, no ITV,C4,C5 etc for catch up purposes.

Might have been nice for the currys salesman to mention it was a 2011 model and some functionality may be missing :evil:

It seems Panasonic don't worry about its older models when developing new apps etc.

Any one else got a smart TV and happy?

Sponsored Links
Tell the shop its not what you want.
They will then charge you a lot more for the new model.
Have you asked Panasonic if it can be upgraded(via d/load)?

Just waiting for reply.

The 2012 model is 500 more!

I guess i just get peed off with customer services in these types of shops. they just say whatever to get the sale. Then make you out to be the bell end when you go back and moan.

If you want full internet connection with a modern TV , just use it as the monitor for your computer. :LOL: :LOL: Seriously, many graphics cards now have an HDMI output. Very useful for connecting a giant monitor to it. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes i have hdmi port on laptop. it works well. i just hate it when i feel something should work and it doesnt.

The stupid thing is, i probably wouldnt use the browser functionality much.

Its princple :LOL:

I can't understand why anyone wants a smart "interactive" TV, the last thing I want to do is interact with the bloody thing. But each to their own I guess.

Have a look around online to see if you can get into the service menu for your TV - quite often you can turn on features that they disable for different models in order to charge more, but keep their costs down by only having to produce one board!

I have a samsung LCD, and having found a way to get into said area (the access for example is {INFO} {MENU} {MUTE} {POWER}), I've been able to turn on full media playback, PIP, USB recording, and web connectivity via a wireless dongle which weren't available previously purely by changing the model number in the menu!

Worth a try...

I can't understand why anyone wants a smart "interactive" TV, the last thing I want to do is interact with the bloody thing. But each to their own I guess.

Know exactly what you mean. TV is there to vegitate in front of. Ale in one hand, Benson in the other (ciggy in case you were wondering). Then the bloody cat gets on my lap, goes to sleep, and I realise the remote is out of reach. Too soft to chuck the cat off, so I'm stuck with Britain's Got Idiots.

Won't be doing much interacting with my TV anyhow. It's a 13 year old CRT Triniton. Not much interacting to be done with these, except playing with the vertical hold.

get a vt30, thats a 2011 model but withthe full smart software iirc, should be good deals on it and its an excellent tv

If I wanted a smart TV, I'd put a f&*^ing tie around my existing one.

If you want full internet connection with a modern TV , just use it as the monitor for your computer. :LOL: :LOL: Seriously, many graphics cards now have an HDMI output. Very useful for connecting a giant monitor to it. ;) ;) ;)

I do this, the software in a tele will probably never keep up with software you can get on a PC in the short term.

My idea of a smart TV is one that can:

1) Turn the volume back down again during adverts and jingles.

2) Switch channels whenever Neckenders comes on.

3) Freeze the programme if the phone rings.

4) Rewind and replay if somebody in the room makes a noise.

5) Wake me up when it's time for bed.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Sponsored Links
Back